8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Alias St. Nick - MGM cartoon

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alias St. Nick - MGM cartoon
Iman Yahya
Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2018 07:07 AM      Profile for Iman Yahya   Email Iman Yahya   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Courtesy of the Super 8 Warehouse, here's what seems to be an unusual find on Super 8.

A charming long 10 minute MGM cartoon from 1935. On Christmas Eve, a cat disguises himself as Santa Claus with a stolen bag of toys in order to infiltrate a home full of excited young mice. Unfortunately for him, a rebellious young mouse sees through his disguise and his gifted toys are soon turned against him.

Like many Happy Harmonies, older 8mm/16mm home movie prints seem to be fairly common from Pictoreels, Mountain Films in the UK etc. However this is different, the source material has English sound with superimposed French subtitles (white text in a black box). To the top it off, this has German titles spliced in the beginning and end with the title "Der Verkannte Weihnachtsmann".

The print's on Agfa polyester stock and the colours are exceptional. Sound is unusually crisp as well, interestingly there's no balance stripe. Some very light lines, marks and infrequent jumps around splices crop up, seemingly mostly coming from the pre-print source. However it otherwise feels like I'm watching an original Technicolor print from the 1930s!

I'm really curious who could have released this print, one I'll definitely run again around Christmas. I'd like to give a shout-out again to Bert for his excellent web-shop and taking the time to give a brief description of every print he has listed so far. I was certainly pleased with my purchase arriving pretty much as advertised.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC