8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Benny Goodman In Concert

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Benny Goodman In Concert
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 23, 2018 05:52 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Benny Goodman In Concert - Super 8 sound - Colour - 7 minutes

The last seven minutes of the Universal International 1955 film of "The Benny Goodman Story" starring Steve Allen and Donna Reed. It feature the Benny Goodman Band with Benny ghosting on clarinet whilst Steve Allen goes through the motions! Harry James on trumpet, Teddy Wilson on piano and a great Gene Krupa on the drums. They play "Sing Sing Sing" and "Memories of You".

The colour has faded but the sound is superb, it will get your feet tapping. This is Universal 8 number 2357, although the print is still the Castle release number 9201 (1976 - 1977). The U8 box says formerly Castle films but has no date.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2018 08:36 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice review...I have this print too but mine is in the original Castle box. I remember enjoying the film the last time I watched it.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 23, 2018 09:58 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Bill
I assume when Universal 8 started there were still plenty of the Castle prints of the same title so they were used in the new Universal 8 boxes.
That would explain this situation.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC