8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Carrie (Marketing Films)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Carrie (Marketing Films)
Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2018 09:47 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a Rear one! By Marketing films. Two parter. Super 8 sound. A nice print. Color is good. Believe me there's a lot more scenes then in the Derran print! The print is in German sound so you would have to get it Recorded in English! I have a mint print of this! Made in 1976. Rated R. Storyline is simple. A teen girl finds out that she has the power to move things with her mind!But things turn from good to Bad when she is always picked on in school and Also things turn bad at home. Because of her crazy mother! There is no Breathing room in this Digest! The only let down is the ending. This one ends when Carrie takes her mom and puts her in the closet when the house starts to fall apart! In the Derran print it ends when a hand comes out of the ground at the grave site! Both versions don't give you the full ending!so if you see this version grab it!Because it Rarely pops up for sale! Review by Leon Norris

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 27, 2018 12:30 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leon ...

Was there a Universal 8 digest of this as well? (Maybe I'm getting things confused)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2018 01:36 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Leon. Bit confused. Derann released two separate 400ft versions under the UA deal.

Marketing had distribution on Paramount product.

Never seen a Marketing cut of Carrie?

Exciting though...any pictures or box images?

Osi, no Universal 8. This was a UA release from Derann.

And a struggle it was too...

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2018 06:19 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, Yes this is a marketing films Release! It is still in the original boxes! I have not spliced it up yet! The print is mint nice picture and nice color. My Derran print is a little reddish. But still has color! The marketing print gives you more story! I plan on putting it together with the Derran print! What's good with the marketing print is they give you previews of there up and coming Releases! A special treat! I also have to record it in English! It has German sound. I was lucky to come across it!

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2018 02:53 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Any chance of some photos of the boxes Leon?

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2018 03:16 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And did it have the same restriction on showing Sissy Spacek topless that caused Derann to freeze frame and extend the main title?

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2018 10:06 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brain, Yes it does give you the full nude scene! At the beginning of the film. The girls locker and shower scenes! I can't wait to get it recorded in English Stereo sound! As I said in the beginning this marketing print has a lot of scenes that the Derran print doesn't have.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2018 11:29 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is really interesting because the Derann deal with UA was quite strict.

They could release different 400ft versions but the each had to be self contained. UA were obviously concerned about collectors owning longer versions of films back then. Laughable these days of course.

So for "Carrie", Derann released two different 400ft extracts, each with a self contained story, but different scenes.

Of course, they were edited by someone many of us are familiar with, and with a splicer and some tape, you could easily re-assemble them into a continuous 2 x 400ft version.

As Brian points out, the deal also dictated the inclusion of all opening credits (albeit edited) but also no revealing scenes of Sissy Spacek...problem...as Brian De Palma's credit is over such a shot...

So Derann spent time and money producing an extended freeze frame with the director's credit intact, but with sufficient mist as to adhere with the UA contract.

I wonder what constraints Marketing had to deal with??

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC