8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Death Wish Full feature 5 x 400ft colour sound

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Death Wish Full feature 5 x 400ft colour sound
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 31, 2019 04:15 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have kept this movie on its original 5 x 400ft reels so its as supplied. Very unusual for me, but i just never got around to joining it up.
Unfortunatly, as with most of the marketing features, this one has some fade, using a blue filter makes an unbelievable difference, on the night scenes it takes away the red hue by 90% plus.
The day scenes are still very good with all the colours still well in there. The focus is pin sharp as most of the marketing films were. I didn't have to touch the focus knob once during the showing. One thing you have to say about marketing is that is was rare for them to do a poor quality product. Just crappy editors on some of the releases.
If i am not mistaken, this title was originally only available as a full feature and also ,(as stated in there catalouges), only for sale in the US. Correct me if i am wrong on this please.
The sound is very good although i did pick up a little rumble on some of the quieter parts of reels 2 and 5 but i do put it through a stereo amp with a bit of bass. When i took the bass out it's hardly noticed at all.
In brief,
Death Wish is a 1974 American vigilante action film, loosely based on the 1972 novel of the same title by Brian Garfield. The film was directed by Michael Winner and stars Charles Bronson as Paul Kersey, an architect who becomes a vigilante after his wife is murdered and his daughter sexually assaulted during a home invasion. It was the first AND BEST of the Death Wish film franchise.
At the time of release, the film was attacked by many film critics due to its support of vigilantism and advocating unlimited punishment of criminals. The novel denounced vigilantism, whereas the film embraced the notion. The film was a commercial success and resonated with the public in the United States, which was facing increasing crime rates during the 1970s.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 01, 2019 11:55 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're print has held up pretty good, as most prints I have seen of this feature are beet red these days. Thanx 4 the review!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 01, 2019 12:18 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your welcome. It is a shame that marketing used such crappy stocks on there full features. The peopke who bought many titles must be quite gutted. All the godfather features are red along with many others.
We also have the mean machine reviewed on here. Again,that one still has very good colours.

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2019 12:07 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a print of this feature! But mine had a sound problem! It sounded like back ground motor noise on the sound track! It was very distracted! But the print was very good. And the color. Charles Bronson at his best!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 04, 2019 02:48 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago i bought a copy from a UK dealer, the print was 1st class in every way back then but like yours Leon, it had a sound fault, the volume had to be up so high the hiss, even from the HD1200, was still louder than the film so i had to return it
I've enjoyed this print for a number of years now, i'm only selling it now as there is something in the pipeline i would like to get.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 05, 2019 10:54 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another lil bit O trivia ...

This is one of the first appearances by Jeff Goldblum as one of the thugs!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC