8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Helpmates.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Helpmates.
Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2019 10:51 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Blackhawk films release! Made in 1931. Super 8 sound. Runs 21 minutes. Black and white. A Laurel and Hardy Comedy! This is one of my favorite short! Storyline is Ollie just had a wild party at home . While his wife is gone out to visit! When he gets a telegram saying his is do home! He calls his buddy Stan to come over and help clean up! Witch turns in to a desaster! Let's just say its Hilarious! One of there best! A nice print. I see this one does not pop up to often!

|  IP: Logged

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2019 11:22 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Leon. One the my favourite Laurel & Hardy shorts.

I first saw this at the British Film Collectors Convention around 20 years ago and laughter filled the room. So nice to experience it with a real audience laughing along.

Later I found a Blackhawk print of my own. I recently screened this for my Dad, who also loves this one. A lovely print.

The last gag where Stan tries to make a nice fire for them coming home and "the house burnt down" is still hilarious.
[Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 22, 2019 12:00 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would put this short right up there with "Towed In The Hole" as among my favorite films of the Lads, and it is a very hard choice to make, with so many great shorts and features to choose from!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 22, 2019 12:40 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Would you mind closing the door?

-I'd like to be alone."

I really can't make my mind up: maybe a young man approaching marriageable age shouldn't watch Laurel and Hardy movies.

-then again maybe they should!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2019 12:57 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just love these Laurel and Hardy Comedy Shorts! Most are very repeatable! Their comedy never let's you down!

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2019 01:25 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without getting political (honestly, Doug, I'm not [Roll Eyes] ) but when Stan leaves the shell of a house after trying to help all day and announces, "Well, there's nothing more I can do here..." and then clears off...so funny on so many levels! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Just as poignent as "You're gonna need a bigger boat"!

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2019 02:16 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ending is Hilarious and poor Ollie is Defeated by all that's happen to him! And stan leaves out without a care! Its insane!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 22, 2019 02:17 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, there's nothing more I can do here...
-Aint that the truth!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2019 02:28 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its good to read these responds on this great comedy!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC