8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » It's A Gift (1923)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It's A Gift (1923)
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 30, 2019 11:03 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's A Gift (1923)
Blackhawk Films
B/W 250ft

-

This iconic little 12 minute one reeler, produced by the Hal Roach Studios, is a silent comedy short starring Snub Pollard as an inventor who is hired by an oil company magnate to produce a gasoline substitute for automobiles. Pollard appeared in many Roach shorts but this is probably his most famous one. From the first frame to the last the gags never stop coming, with Snub's many weird inventions producing hilarious results throughout the film. I guess the one that people always remember is the magnet car, kind of the ultimate "green" car which requires no power of its own!

-

I first saw this film when I was about 14 years old and rented it to run on my hand cranked 9.5mm Pathescope Ace. In fact it was a staple of the Pathescope film catalogue for decades, so there are surely many 9,5mm prints still around. It was a big hit with me and my parents then, and is a silent short that you never forget once you see it and never fails to get laughs with all audiences, even people who don't like silent films!
The Blackhawk super 8mm print is very good with a sharp image and good contrast. It has some vintage 1920's music recorded on the magnetic track. I redubbed mine with period music that I preferred. Like many of the Blackhawk films it also includes a short silent 'prologue' of background information on the film. Hardly a 'special feature' but nevertheless a nice touch appreciated by film collectors.

Recommended
Print B+

[ May 30, 2019, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2019 11:35 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Collectors Club UK release of this. A good film especially how he keeps the car in a Garbage container which becomes a Garage when he covers the "b".

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2019 12:57 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds like a petty good comedy! I never had this one! So I'll be on the lookout! Snub did some good work at the Half Roach studios!

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2019 01:02 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have still got my Collectors Club copy of this superb film from way back in the '70's.

I recently stumbled over a sound copy (theoretically music and effects) so invested in a second copy. Oh dear, sepia picture slightly off centre, and the sound was just organ music that just did not relate to the picture, not to mention the lack of sound effects. Not sure if this wasn't just a feeble amateur attempt.
I have been told there ARE sound copies out there so I assume they would be far better than this?

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 30, 2019 02:53 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was big seller on 9.5mm as released by Pathescope, number SB600.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czpnKHRRXwQ&list=UUyApXb3L11bzoD-6rA-_5IQ

--------------------
Maurice

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 31, 2019 05:53 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its absolutely fantastic what is getting on to youtube these days.

Thank you Maurice.

I am a cine twit who really enjoys watching real film on there.

Oh dear etc !!!!

Best Mark.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 31, 2019 12:55 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark you will find a lot of the Pathescope 9,5mm films, sound and silent, on YouTube thanks to Grahame Newnham and Lee Mannering.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 01, 2019 08:41 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I brought my scored print to that most-recent CINESEA, went over quite well - Shorty

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2019 08:58 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shorty - I assume your scored print held some relevance to the activities and tempo of what was going on on the screen, similar, if not the same, as the copy on YouTube that Maurice so kindly posted? As I mentioned earlier, mine was just irrelevant organ music.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 02, 2019 01:52 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes always a popular Collector Club release and also on 9.5mm film

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 05, 2019 08:20 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Melvin, actually this contained a very precise Blackhawk score, courtesy of Gaylord Carter - Cheers, Shorty

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 05, 2019 03:54 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely want a scored print of this one!

-something to look forward to.

The Blackhawk scored silents pretty much spoiled the silent-silent versions for me.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 06, 2019 10:47 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you can always find a silent version, yet the scores enhances your viewing and Blackhawk never disappointed

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC