8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Lens Comparisons

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lens Comparisons
Dan Lail
Film God

- posted November 06, 2004 05:38 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone notice a difference in focus between the Sankor 16C anamorphic lens and the Kowa 16 anamorphic lens at a throw of 20 feet? Is one sharper than the other? This would be using a 1.5 inch prime. [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

John A. Pommon
Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2004 01:08 AM      Profile for John A. Pommon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dan, Just out of curiosity which machine are you running?
I picked up a German ISCO - Gottingen KIPTARON 1.3 / 50MM lens for an EIKI SSL. An improvement over the standard EIKI lens.

--------------------
Antique Video Transfer Service
2" Quadruplex videotape to DV/DVCAM digital transfers
5001 Diamond Hts Blvd.
San Francisco, CA 94131-1621
www.antiquevideo.com
antvid@antiquevideo.com

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted November 09, 2004 10:35 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John, I'm running these lens with a B&H 1585. The Sankor 16C has a smaller diameter rear than the Kowa 16. The Kowa is definately sharper in focus. I think it's because more light passes through. Also, the Kowa screws directly onto the B&H 1.5 lens where as the Sankor has to have an adaptor. [Smile]

My Eiki SSL-O is not ready for use yet I don't think the parts that hold the film in place in the forward position are aligning correctly. [Confused]

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2004 04:37 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Working in the cinema trade professionally,anamorphic lenses are notoriously dissimilar,even within own-brands.
I have found the same with my 16mm/8mm useage of these lenses.My own Kowa was different in resolution than a friend of mines of the same make.To look at them they are alike as two peas in a pod!
Barry.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

John A. Pommon
Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2004 05:28 AM      Profile for John A. Pommon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, Where in the film path is the film being engaged incorrectly?

--------------------
5001 Diamond Hts Blvd.
www.antiquevideo.com
antvid@antiquevideo.com

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted November 10, 2004 08:31 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, here are some pictures of the Eiki film path open and closed with and without film.

web page
web page
web page web page

John A. Pommon
Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2005 04:03 PM      Profile for John A. Pommon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dan: 1st picture - in the stop/load position - matches image in manual.
Rollers look in correct position. 2nd picture appears to match as well.
For your 3rd image place the rotary control in "operation position".

Some problems require intense scrutiny. For instance I have an SSL-1 with a 'mystery' problem I can't find the cure.
The film doesn't "nest" in the gate precisely. As a result the claw skips one frame when it starts and chatters. I have looked everywhere but can't find the answer.

--------------------
5001 Diamond Hts Blvd.
www.antiquevideo.com
antvid@antiquevideo.com

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 04, 2005 05:32 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, John, I finally figured out the correct film threading on the Eiki and it works very smooth. I agree, rewinding the film over the top of the projector eliminates any possibility of friction to the film. [Smile]

John, thanks for a gorgeous print of 3 Faces Of Eve. [Wink]

Barry, thanks for insight on the individual characteristics of of same brand and size lens. I never thought of that. Logic abounds here on this forum. [Big Grin]

John A. Pommon
Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2005 12:24 AM      Profile for John A. Pommon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dan - Your welcome! Enjoy. J.W sure was a babe (sexy too) Just for ducks how about the asking price on a scope big boy of this same title: from Jeff's 2005 list - 35mm site -
THREE FACES OF EVE (SCOPE) JOANNE WOODWARD--DAVID WAYNE..............2,000.
Take Care Dan
J

--------------------
5001 Diamond Hts Blvd.
www.antiquevideo.com
antvid@antiquevideo.com

Anthony Massaro
Junior

- posted February 09, 2005 06:41 PM      Profile for Anthony Massaro   Author's Homepage   Email Anthony Massaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi:
I have a mint condition Sankor 16 (D?) anamorphic as well which I brought some time ago but never used. Can't remember the model off hand but it's large in size. Can anyone tell me if they are made by the same people who manufacture the Kowa anamophics?
There's a sticker on the front of mine covering the original manufacturer over with the Sankor name. - Anthony

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2005 06:58 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Sankor and Kowa at two different factories. The Sankor lenses turn up with all sorts of names engraved on them such as Eiki F, Singer, Victor, Films Inc, etc. The Kowa lenses are sometimes engraved with Elmo and Bell & Howell. There are both Sankor and Kowa lenses engraved as Elmoscope lenses.

The biggest difference between anamorphics has to do with optical alignment. If the lens elements get out of vertical alingment first the contrast goes and then it's not possible to get sharp focus. This can be fixed if you have the proper tools and jigs to set up the lenses.

There are also a number of the smaller Sankor lenses (sometimes marked D.O.Optics and sometimes Eiki 16F) that were modified by Laird for part of a US Navy contract for on ship telecine use. These lenses have been compressed in length so that they only focus at about 3 feet. This was to allow film chain use of Cinemascope 16mm prints that were in circulation at the time for Armed Forces use. They later went to Beta. Bet they're all on DVD now. So beware of some of the anamorphics sold on ebay as I've seen these lenses turn up and the sellers usually know nothing (at least claim that) about the lenses and their use.

John

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC