8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Home 16mm theatre?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Home 16mm theatre?
Ted Wilby
Junior

- posted November 09, 2004 02:17 AM      Profile for Ted Wilby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to know who here has a home 16mm theatre? Not just a Cart in the living room, but a screening room?

--------------------
Thanks Ted

Ted The Fiddler
www.tfiddler.com

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 09, 2004 03:01 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ted, welcome to the Forum.
I think there are a few people here who turned sections of their house into theatres.
I'm in the process of transforming my basement. It won't look like a cinema house per se, but will feature permanent projector installation (S8, 16 and vid) and a 10ft screen.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Carl E. Feather
Junior

- posted November 09, 2004 08:28 AM      Profile for Carl E. Feather   Author's Homepage   Email Carl E. Feather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Half of my basement is a screening room/family room. The projection booth is walled off. I have a 20-foot throw onto a 5-foot screen; that's the largest I could do because of short throw and steps. A 38mm lens on my Elmo fills it perfectly.

I run two Elmo CL16s and a pair of Elmo Super 8 projectors, Bolex 8mm projector and slide projectors from the booth. Sound is run into a mixer, amp, with mid-range sound routed through a center channel to enhance dialog. Two speakers are on each side of the room, center channel right over the screen. We have about eight chairs in the room, with the choice seat being the sofa right under the projection booth windows.

Entire room is done in pine tongue-and-groove barn siding except one wall with a wallpaper accent and old movie poster border. It's my favorite getaway.

--------------------
Carl E. Feather

Derek Sutton
Junior

- posted November 09, 2004 04:09 PM      Profile for Derek Sutton   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Sutton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
It's nice to have a selection of Forums
It's also nice to have a permanent Cinema.
pictures of my cinema can be viewed on my website,
if interested at.
http://www.16mmcinema.com

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2004 04:52 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Derek, that's one very impressinve cinema set up, apart from being very proffessional looking it also looks very cosy and inviting, a nice place to view films.

The projector looks like a serious piece of equipment, I only do 8mm myself so I guess the better 16mm and upwards machines always look a bit serious to me. [Roll Eyes]

Mike [Smile]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2004 05:07 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
they live in Berlin (Germany) many collectors. Some of them have little Cinemas in the basement. Wee meet us often for collector meetings. Last week we met us in Romanīs home theater. I made some fotos (so Iīm not on the pics).
http://www.chapter-x.com/film/cinema.htm

Regards
Oemer
(sorry my english is not very well)

John A. Pommon
Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2004 05:26 AM      Profile for John A. Pommon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oemer, Impressive theater. Is that a pair of 35MMs and a 16mm machine against the wall?
Very nice setup.
Thanks
John P

--------------------
Antique Video Transfer Service
2" Quadruplex videotape to DV/DVCAM digital transfers
5001 Diamond Hts Blvd.
San Francisco, CA 94131-1621
www.antiquevideo.com
antvid@antiquevideo.com

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2004 04:09 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes John, they are two TK35 (old East German) 35mm machines and a Eiki 16mm projector.
Take a look on this website from another friend, his home cinema (only Super 8) is the best in town I know.
http://www.joerg-palast.de/
Click on "TECHNIK & AUSSTATTUNG"
He use Elmo GS1200 and have "Dolby Stereo-4-chanal-Surround" sound.

Ted Wilby
Junior

- posted November 10, 2004 11:01 PM      Profile for Ted Wilby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All very intesting. I used to have a small super 8 screening room. Now I just have a big 6 ft computer rack cart with my slide projector and an Elmo 16cl usually sitting on it. A slide projector sits nicely on top. My screen is a big 9ft pull down that hides under the living room window treatment. The whole thing plugs into my surround system. you can see some photos on my web site. Follow the links to Film Collecting. www.tfiddler.com

I plan to build a film vault thing in my basement to store and take care of the films. My wife wants me to sell everything and switch to Video. I will get a Video projector soon I think, but I'll always have some film around.

--------------------
Thanks Ted

Ted The Fiddler
www.tfiddler.com

John A. Pommon
Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2004 01:09 AM      Profile for John A. Pommon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Oemer . . what a nice setup. Those projectors really look
hi-tech. Your friends' theatres look really nice and cozy with a theatrical environment.
Man . .you guys know how to put on a show.
I saw an Erneman-15 on one of the links . . .Who's 35MM is that!!!
That's a really nice machine. I am looking for a Kinoton portable but the Ernemann looks soooo cool!
Thanks
John

Hey Ted . . thats a great shot . .I love how the movie screen dwarfs the TV . . . ha ha ha.

--------------------
5001 Diamond Hts Blvd.
www.antiquevideo.com
antvid@antiquevideo.com

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2004 02:36 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we moved into our new house about 7 years ago, I had carpenters put a port in from the sunroom into an ajoining room...so I have a separate booth and a small screening room ...with a permanent screen whose aspect ratio can be changed by masking panels being added or removed. It's about 8 feet across in the scope format. I run two Kodak Pageant 250's for 16mm. Two Elmo st1200hd's for super 8. A Euming 810-D for standard 8mm. And a Kodak carousel slide projector. All sound run into a stereo amp through two mixers in the booth. It's not elaborate , but OK. Someday when we move again, I hope to have a much larger screening room and bigger screens.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2004 04:34 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oemer,

I loved the shot of the home cinemas.

How do they create the four channel dolby sound?
And where do you begin with 35mil?

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2004 03:02 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I received from a friend some more photos from our last meeting.
On one photo you can see the full gang, and I put 2 Photos from the screen. http://www.chapter-x.com/film/cinema.htm

Michael,
(My english is very bad, Iīm not shure if I can describe the Dolby System) Joerg use a Special tape recorder and the tape has perforation like the Super 8 Film. And the GS1200 run synchron with the tape player. A friend of mine have on of this tape player for sale, he want 500 Euro. But you must buy the tapes for each film or you can record self from the DVD.

I will show you next time some more fotos from other friends home theaters.
If anybody is on 02. December here in Berlin Germany, he can visit us, we have our christmas meeting. We meet us in a little Cinema from a friend http://z-bar.de/zinema.htm , it is in a Bar and our friend Thomas show every sunday a film (16mm/Super8)in his cinema "Z-inema".
We screen on 02.December "The Man who knew to much", it is my 16mm IB Technicolor Print (Very sharp British Technicolor with clear edge) and we use my Elmo 16CL Xenon projector.
Regards
Oemer

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2004 06:57 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Oemer,
I'm understanding you, for you are using Full Coat magnetic super 8mm film
that has a pulse recorded into the stock. Somehow it is synched to the
GS 1200. I wish we were close neighbors, I would love to join all of you on 02. Dec. for the Man Who Knew Too Much. Is this presentation also using Full Coat Magnetic sound for the Stereo tracks?

Regards,
Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted November 15, 2004 08:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oemer, you might want to use the UPLOAD feature on this website to post those pictures on this actual thread, rather than linking off-site. It will guarantee that the images are preserved with the forum's archives.

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2004 04:02 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Brad I try to uploud but it donīt work. " One or more files failed to upload. The reasons returned are:
Upload failed: roman1.jpg exceeds pixel size restrictions. Please resize the picture and try again." But the pic is only 60kb ?????????

Michael,the sound system works only with Super 8 Elmo GS1200.
The Hitchcock feature is 16mm IB tech. (has german sound but it is a british IB/Tech, they are razor sharp). We use for this screening my Elmo 16CL Xenon projector (only mono).

But this nice cinemas are all from my friends, I have for screening only our living room. But we have a big living room with long distance from projector to the white wall. I get a scope screen size of 1,45 meter x 3,96 meter with my 38mm lens (sorry I donīt know how much is it in inch or foot maybe anyone of you know ??)
I can screen bigger like a big cinema with my 20mm lens but I donīt get a sharp focus.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted November 16, 2004 09:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Upload failed: roman1.jpg exceeds pixel size restrictions. Please resize the picture and try again." But the pic is only 60kb ?????????
The error is just that. Your pictures are too large...physically! 550 pixels wide is the biggest you can upload. There is no "data size" restriction.

John A. Pommon
Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2004 09:48 PM      Profile for John A. Pommon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oemer, Nice Theater! Looks to hold 14 patrons. And the ports
give it the total professional touch. The theater owner must be having a blast.
Thanks for sharing.

Unless I move out of this condo I am screwed on space. Rats!

--------------------
5001 Diamond Hts Blvd.
www.antiquevideo.com
antvid@antiquevideo.com

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2005 05:28 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Im joining this one a little late.

Derek

Wow you have the reel thing..very nice projector. Movies must look great from that projector.

Oemer

Same to you. Nothing like sharing an evening with some friends relaxing to a movie with a few beers of course:)

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 12, 2005 09:11 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Ted, I just loved that stap line on your web site. You should use it as you forum signature.

"Film is made of Silver, Video is made of Rust"

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC