8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » So, Is is a dupe, and was it worth my money?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So, Is is a dupe, and was it worth my money?
John Davey
Junior

- posted December 08, 2004 12:02 AM      Profile for John Davey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just recieved a 16mm print of "Wizard of Oz" that I am pretty sure is a (really bad) bootleg dupe, but I thought I'd ask the experts to be sure.

First of all, it would seem to have been duped from a 35mm print as the cue marks are printed in, and the film looks filthy at the reel changes. Is also has bad contrast, it seems to have a look of being "overexposed" (to bright). The second thing is it has printed in leaders that title it as "Magician", which I am assuming was done to throw off any authorities who discovered the prints(s), as foreign CD bootleggers do today to get the CD's through customs.

The color also shifts from, fair in the first two reels (it's a four reeler) to red in the last two reels.

Now, I only paid $200 for it, which I thought was a steal until I got it. I know good prints go for $500 and up. On top of all of these problems it seems to be badly warped( however this did not affect the image except for the first couple of minnutes of reel 4). When I received it all 4 of the reels were wound extremely loose and were sagging. When I projected it, it sagged even worse on the take up reel. (Half of reel 3 wound up on the floor because I was in the other room from the projector and it sagged so bad it started spooling off the reel!!! I didn't realize it til the reel was over and I went to change the reels. Woah, that was not a pretty sight!)

Anyway, I guess I am also asking from the wise ones, would you ask for an adjustment on this print if it were you? I think I would like to keep the print and ask for part of my money back( I mean, when will I be able to afford a GOOD print of Oz?) as the warping was not disclosed to me and i was told it had "decent" color. However, it's very possible I am just letting my dissapointment get the best of me. I mean, we are talking about "Wizard of Oz", one of the most desireable prints in film land, for only $200. I probably shoudln't expect much for a $200 print.

So, whaddya guys think?

Thanks,
John Davey

|  IP: Logged

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2004 11:32 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the stock is warped I would without a doubt ask for my money back. I have had several dupes that looked great, hard to tell but some not so great. Id love to see a nice print of this in 16mm also.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2004 11:53 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

I think that this print should be returned, based upon the reels that are red.
The cost does not justify the means.

Good Luck,
Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC