8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Look At This eBay Vintage Revere Projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Look At This eBay Vintage Revere Projector
Dan Lail
Film God

- posted February 10, 2005 01:37 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This looks like it's in nice condition. It's a 1954 Revere S-16 sound projector:

web page

|  IP: Logged

Bob Pucci
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2005 05:57 PM      Profile for Bob Pucci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I owned one of these.It ran well and I really enjoyed it until the worm gear went.

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2005 03:05 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
It amazing he says the sound is working. I've repaired/restored/resurected three of these (call me a fool) and they all needed extensive amp work. There were several different amps and the circuit diagram on the available service manuals only covers one.

I had to replace all the caps in the amps and rectifiers in one.

They're a fun projector, the amp design isn't very good (probably to avoid licensing at the time) and has high distortion compared to an Ampro Sytlist (another rebuild project).

But they sure look neat running a 1600 foot reel with the extension arm, etc. Almost as cool as the Ampro!

John

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted February 11, 2005 05:25 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't think it would have more than four small tubes. So, it wasn't a standard amp design of that period. Must be a 10 or 15 watter. The cast iron chasis and the stainless steel film transport make it a show piece for sure. If I had more room I would like to have it. [Smile]

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2005 10:01 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a "hot" chassis amp. It's set in insulators and there are insulators on the volume and tone control since you could easily zap yourself (remember it pre-dates polarized plugs too).

The amp did use selenium rectifiers instead of a tube for DC and suffers from hum. Also the "volume" control actually changes the amount of light from the exciter lamp.

I'm guessing about the licensing, but back then RCA and WE had pretty strong control over synchronized sound reproduction circuits.

John

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC