8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Radiation from Arc Lighting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Radiation from Arc Lighting
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2005 06:04 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a projector which has a G E MARC 300 high-intensity arc lamp. This lamp is NOT a xenon. I have heard people suggesting that radiation is a risk associated with arc lighting. Can anyone confirm this?

|  IP: Logged

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2005 12:30 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using Arc lamps for years and have noticed no side effects.

-

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2005 01:09 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most serious effect is of course arc-eye, which literally burns the retina of the eye. You should only look at an electric arc through a welders mask.

With regard to radiation, the electric arc emits EVERY wavelength in the ultra violet spectrum and is, of itself, extremely hazardous, causing cancer and all the other related nasties. It is more intense than being exposed to the sun and can do far greater damage.

HOWEVER - HEAR THIS!! The glass or quartz envelope in which the arc is contained, filters out pretty much all of this UV radiation!

So, you're OK with your arc projector lamp. Nevertheless, if the glass bulb is damaged in any way, ie. scratched or grazed, throw it away, because the harmful radiation will get through. Even if the interior of the bulb is still smooth, the radiation is only properly filtered by the total internal reflection of both the inner and outer surfaces of the glass.

Here endeth the lesson. [Eek!]

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2005 09:39 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David & Alan,

David, this was very informative.
Yikes Alan, I like the formal wear and Bow tie, but it is
a informal forum!

But thanks for the special effects. Nice trick, it's great. [Big Grin]

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

John A. Pommon
Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2005 01:36 AM      Profile for John A. Pommon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure the welding filter shade is correct for your application. I use an Omni-View #10 shade for observing 550 w arc lamp. (O.V. meets/exceeds ansi Z87.1 standards)

--------------------
Antique Video Transfer Service
2" Quadruplex videotape to DV/DVCAM digital transfers
5001 Diamond Hts Blvd.
San Francisco, CA 94131-1621
www.antiquevideo.com
antvid@antiquevideo.com

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC