8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Eiki SSL-O #2 Sprocket Shoe

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eiki SSL-O #2 Sprocket Shoe
Lawrence Alan Fabbri
Junior

- posted May 24, 2005 08:07 PM      Profile for Lawrence Alan Fabbri   Author's Homepage   Email Lawrence Alan Fabbri   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know how close the shoe should be to the #2 sprocket on an EIKI SSL-O. I am losing the bottom loop, sometimes not enough to reset itself but enough to make the sound not exactly right. Maybe I have multiple problems. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. It seems to me the only way I could lose the lower loop would be if the film jumped over the sprocket or the take up reel had too much pressure. How would I tell if I had too much take up reel pressure. Thanks in Advance Larry

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2005 04:21 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
The following is from the SSL manual:

8. #2 Sprocket Shoe Adjustment
The #2 Sprocket Shoe Assembly closes around the #2 sprocket when the projector is in the "MIC" or No. 2 or 3 position.
With the rotary switch at "STOP" position, loosen the two set screws on the No. 2 sprocket shoe interlocking arm bracket [note: this is accessed from inside the projector after you remove the flywheel and you'll have to find it by moving the operating lever back and forth between stop and mic.]
Turn the rotary switch to MIC position, and push down the No. 2 sprocket shoe bracket completely against the No. 2 sprocket. Secure the two set screws.

No end play is allowed for the #2 sprocket shaft.

If you had an SL rather than an SSL, there are a number of service bulletins and part changes for this problem.

Make sure in addition to the above that the film guide rollers turn freely on their shafts and that the film isn't being pulled out because of too much of a bounce from the take-up reel on start up. Heavy 2000 Goldberg reels, good as they are, cause trouble like this. The supplied "Eikimatic" take-up reel is the proper mass for the take up system.

Another problem can be poorly made tape splices but these usually result in a "growing loop" rather than a shrinking loop.

Run the projector with film (after you make the adjustment) with the lamp off and watch to see if the loop shrinks and if there are any problems with the film associated with it such as splices, warping, sticking guide rollers, tension absorbing take up spring too weak, etc.

John

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC