8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Eiki/B&H 3580 or 3585

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eiki/B&H 3580 or 3585
Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2005 12:26 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Gang,

I'm in the process of switching model projectors from B&H 1500 series to Eiki. I understand that the Eiki has better sound and image quality.

Anyway I am used to using a manual thread projector, and I am trying to determine if the 3580 or 3585 would suit me better. It seems that both of these models have a wheel that allows the projectionist to insure that the film is engaged in the sprockets before switching the machine on.

From this design, it seems that either machine may be used for manual threading, but I'm truely not sure? [Confused]

Also I'm not familiar with the film path of these Eiki models, and was curious if it was simple to keep the film path clean?

In browsing the various models for sale on the internet, it is difficult to see the film path up close.

Are these machines also capable of taking a zoom lens to make the picture larger in a smaller space?

Any help is appreciated.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

|  IP: Logged

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2005 07:28 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael --

The 3580/3585 are actually B&H model #s for the Eiki projector. The actual Eiki Models (same machine) are SSL and SNT. The SSL being a Slot-load projector and the SNT being an Autoload. I believe that the SSL=3580 and SNT=3585, but don't quote me on that. The Autoload models can be loaded manually, but it's genereally a pain in the neck - I would stick to the slot loads. I'm not sure what you mean by a wheel that lets you tell if the sprockets are engaged.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 02, 2005 12:04 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can confirm that the SSL-0 is the equivalent of the B&H 3580. As for the wheel... my Eiki has what looks like a wheel at the very top right (below the supply reel arm). It's fixed and doesn't seem to turn, all I can see is that the rollers above the top sprocket flip up and down on a guide mounted to this wheel. I've yet to get hold of a manual for my machine so I'm a bit mystified as to why the wheel is there. [Cool]
One COULD engage all the sprockets and film gate by switching the projector to the 'MIC' position, which is the one right before the motor and lamp actually turn on and things start moving. Once in the 'MIC' position you could manually advance the film via the wheel in front of the lens until it catches in the sprockets and claw teeth, then turn the motor and lamp on.
By the way, the film path on my SSL-0 is very easy to access and keep clean (though you do have to remove a few screws to take the bottom faceplace off if you want to give it a thorough cleaning).

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2005 10:55 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jan,

I believe that you found the 'wheel' that I was referring, in order to engage the sprockets.

Incidentally, is the Eiki, a quiet running machine?

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 02, 2005 07:27 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, very much so. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC