8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Questions about leader for optical sound films

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Questions about leader for optical sound films
Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 14, 2005 01:28 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'm beginning to collect 16mm films now, and already I feel the need for a splicer, splicing tape and (most of all) leader to put on the films. [Roll Eyes]
Not being familiar with the intricacies of optical sound playback, however, I would like to know what kind of leader I should choose that won't give me any excessive noise or pops when played back in the projector (leader film running through before the actual film comes into the machine and past the optical sound pickup).
I believe there's single-perf leader with an actual silent optical soundtrack, as opposed to a plain white single-perf film (such as Kodak acetate leader). Should I go for this or will the plain leader be OK? Will plain leader cause sound pops when the splice between leader and start of actual film runs through? (This is assuming it's a clean, well-executed tape splice.)

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

|  IP: Logged

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2005 08:03 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always use colored Mylar leader. I've never heard of leader with an actual soundtrack on it. I've also never had a particular noise problem with leader at all...

You can order mylar leader from Larry Urbanski...

As for splicing -- if you think you are only going to do an occasional splice, then get a kodak presstape splicer and some presstapes (If you want to go this route, let me know, I've got an extra presstape splicer I can sell you). Otherwise you'll want a guillotine splicer which uses roll tape -- much better if you are doing a lot of splicing, but much more expensive...

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 14, 2005 08:52 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good, very good, thanks Steven. [Smile] Colored mylar leader? Does Larry Urbanski have that in green and red? (Ohboy, ohboy-ohboy!) Well, that's what I'll be getting, then... and yes, I'm going with a Kodak presstape splicer, this is just to put new leader on films as I obtain them, and the occasional repair splice. I even already have Kodak presstapes for both super-8 and 16mm. [Smile]

P.S.: got your email about the lenses... will have to think about it long and hard. But thanks. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2005 10:27 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is right. The mylar stuff is good. The stuff to avoid is the plastic leader made by Neumade. This stuff buckles and shrinks to a major mess quickly.

P.S. Larry Urbanski is a great guy to deal with. Courteous and very helpful.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC