8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Soundtrack Out Of Sink :-)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Soundtrack Out Of Sink :-)
Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 17, 2005 04:30 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I obtained this gorgeous print of a 1950's 'B crime feature called Chicago Syndicate. When I put on the last reel, reel two, everything was fine for the first ten minutes, then the voices when out of sync. The dialogue was about five seconds before the lips moved. This continued for the last 35 mintes of the film. Anyone have a suggestion on how to sync up the track? I have a piece out outboard gear with delay capabilties. Maybe that will work. [Cool]

Oh, Abbey Lane is one of the stars. She sings with Xavier Cougats small combo. Pretty cool stuff. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2005 08:15 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan

Five seconds is a pretty big error (5 x 24 = 120 frames or 3 feet) This could occur if the lab used the wrong "start" mark* for the track. Is there a splice where the track goes out of sync?

In the olden days of yore, one could stripe the print and re-record the optical track on to full coat before striping and then record it back onto the print.

I don't know if any outboard device can give you five seconds, but if you have such a device try it. The problem is you're going to have to do this every time you play the print.

One of the reasons prints used to wind up on the "collector's market" was they were lab rejects. That's probably the history on your print.

John

*various studios used different "start" marks for tracks. Most used a nine foot start where a beep or pop occured on the "3" of the leader (or 2 seconds on the new universal leader), Warner Bros used an 11 foot start for a while and Paramount used a 12 foot start for awhile. These are all 35mm counts and wouldn't explain your problem. It's an error, pure and simple.

J

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2005 08:24 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A sink sounds like a bad place to put your films anyway, so keeping them out of sink is a good idea....

(sorry Dan, couldn't resist)....

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 17, 2005 08:42 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL @ Steven, I was going to make a similar comment...but I see you beat me to it. [Big Grin]

Here's one wacky idea, why not play the film with a 3-foot loop between the film gate and sound pickup... yes... I know... I did say it was wacky. [Razz]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 17, 2005 10:54 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, John, I figured a five second delay would be hard to provide using outboard gear. But, I think the stereo delay option have might do it. It ping pongs the delay from left to right or visa versa. I could mute the fisrt side and only allow the opposite side to be heard. If I ever get around to trying it, I will report back.

Steven & Jan, whoa is me! [Frown] Looks like I'm reaping all those bad puns I've sewn. I love it! Thanks. [Big Grin]

Actually, I would rather have Abbey out tub. [Eek!]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC