8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Projection speed for Broken Blossoms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projection speed for Broken Blossoms
John Wilton
Junior

- posted August 17, 2005 11:51 PM      Profile for John Wilton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I correct in thinking the industry was using 16fps in 1919? When did 24fps become standard...with sound; or earlier?

I'm celebrating the rebirth of my Filmosound 2592 by raiding the circulating collection of the NY Public Library.

--------------------
John Wilton
NYC

|  IP: Logged

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2005 09:10 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John,

Do a search on Alt.Movies.Silent (usenet, e.g. via Google Groups) for some opinions on projection speeds for silent films. The bottom line is that there wasn't a proper standard and that the speed really depends on the feature. Features from the late twenties (e.g. 'Sunrise' or 'The General' from 1927) are best played at 24fps (or close to 24fps).

I have a R8 print of Broken Blossoms (beautiful film) and if I recall correctly (it's been a few years since I last screend it), I played it slightly faster than 18fps. Probably something like 20fps. I play my S8 and R8 silents on an Eumig. Those projectors have variable speed, so you can adjust them and find the best speed to play them.
My Eiki SSL 16mm machine either plays either 24fps or 18fps. I have never tried to play silents on my Elmo 16CL, so I don't know if silent speed is 16fps or 18fps. I think 16fps will be too slow and 24fps will definitely be too fast for that film. If you can vary the speed, just play around and find the best speed. If you can't, try to find a machine that plays 18fps (which I think is the case for most 16mm projector, but I could be wrong).

Please report back on what you find!

Cheers,

- Rob

I whish our public library had a 16mm collection! Does anyone knows if such a thing (still) exists in the UK?

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2005 01:52 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I beleave the the British Film Institute and I do not know their address off hand hire out 16mm. I remember someone I was talking to said they had hired a film. Maybe worth finding out.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2005 11:13 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that most silents from 1925 onward probably will play fine at sound speed. But then again, it is up to how you may enjoy the pacing of the film.

I've got a scored print of the Great Train Robbery, and it moves best a silent speed. However the track sounds better at sound speed.

I think that 16fps was standard for silent speed, 18fps will work fine.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2005 03:34 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sunrise absolutely is for 24fps because it was released with a movietone (sound-on-film) soundtrack. Since the Fps rate did indeed vary, use what looks best to you if your projector has a variable speed control. Some theater owners purposely ran the films at a fast speed to get in an extra showing each day to increase their profits... [Eek!]

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2005 11:44 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I'm celebrating the rebirth of my Filmosound 2592 by raiding the circulating collection of the NY Public Library.

Lucky bastard! I miss the time when I lived near Dearborn Michigan and I could check out R-8mm, S-8mm and 16mm silent and sound films. What a collection and I spent many a night watching films in our apartment with my wife. Much more fun than watching films on a TV.
[Cool]

David M. Leugers

--------------------
Live Free or Die

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC