8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Eiki SNT-0, or NT-0

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eiki SNT-0, or NT-0
Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2005 10:46 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone shed some light on the Eiki model projectors?

It has been about 30 years since I used an Eiki model projector, back when I was in college. At the time, I was not aware of the technical advances that these units had over other 16mm models.

Over several months I have been reading the various posts regarding the reliability of the Eiki machines, and I am considering obtaining either an SNT-0, or NT-0 model.

Recently I was speaking with a gentleman from Virginia that was formally an Eiki representative and I mentioned an interest in the SNT Slim Line model.
Due to the improved sound, maintanence reliability and if the machine can be manually threaded?

When asked, he had suggested the NT-0 model, may be easier to manually thread.

I believe that he also mentioned that all of the belts which often break with age, had been replaced with round belts.

Eiki experts: please advise of any pertinent information, so that I can make an appropriate choice. Especially because I do not know if parts are available for these machines?

Kind regards,
Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2005 12:24 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When asked, he had suggested the NT-0 model, may be easier to manually thread.

I believe that he also mentioned that all of the belts which often break with age, had been replaced with round belts

Well the NT series might be easier to manual thread (maybe, I don't think so, but others might). The NT was the last of the basic series that started with the ST thru RT to the NT with the same basic chassis.

It was the NT that HAD THE BREAKABLE round belts. These were all replaced on the later SL and SSL and SNT series (the SL and SSL were the slot loads).

Some very late NTs used the later 3V flat motor belt but all the early machines had the round belts. At one time Eiki sold replacement motor pulleys and shutter pulleys to use the new belt. But the arm belts were still the round poly belts. I have replaced the reel arms on NT machines with arms from SL machines to get away from the problem.

The SNT had many refinements including an electronic model (ENT) which had touch button control and could be easily remote controlled.

The one major difference between the SNT and SSL besides self thread vs slot is that the SNT will run backwards where the SSL does not.

The SSL/SNT design had larger sprockets, better assembly and quality control (in my opinion) that the earlier machines. They are a bit more difficult to service since Eiki did away with the opening "back door" and you have to remove several screws to take off the back cover. I have no idea why unless it was to meet various electrical safety codes.

Virtually all Eikis have used the same sound optics/slits and everyghing from the President MS-860 series forward has used a solar cell sound pick up, the amps in the SSL/SNT series however are a better design and more reliable that some of the amps used back in the RT line and later SL series.

All the later amps also have a very good regulated DC supply for the exciter lamp.

Watch out for early ST series where windings in the motor were used as a transformer to supply the voltages for the amp/exciter lamp and stability was poor and motor torque went way down with age. (This ame motor design was used in the President series).

John

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2005 01:43 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

Thank you very much. This was a very helpful explanation. It clears a lot of details to look out for in obtaining a quality machine.
I hope that this pict posts correctly, because this is the machine which I was referring to.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2005 01:09 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I would go with an SSL (slot load). I HATE autoload machines. They're much more difficult to deal with (especially if you want to load/unload them in the middle of a reel), they're more likely to damage your films, the require perfect leaders with no tape, labels etc on them, and they've got more moving parts that can break.

However, with that said -- if you must have an autoload, go with the SNT.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC