8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Bell & howell TQ Bulb prob

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell & howell TQ Bulb prob
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 27, 2005 04:45 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used my Tq (green) B&H some time ago. About 18month to be exact. It has a new bulb fitted which had been use for one feature. I took it out tonight and lo and behold everything works fine exept the bulb will not work. The actual bulb itself is fine.
Can anyone tell me if these suffer in this way?
The contacts are good and clean. The filament is fine. Its a classic case of working perfect last time i used it and now this. I dont wish to buy another bulb just yet as i'm 99.9% sure its not the bulb itself. [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2005 09:14 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is where a few quick checks with a meter will tell the story. See if you read continunity across the lamp terminals with it out of the projector. If so then the problem is deeper and not the lamp. Check the terminals inside the projector for corrosion. It's also possible that the switch may have gone bad. Even low voltage lamps put a heavy amperage on the switch contacts. You should be able to read voltage at the lamp terminals inside the machine with your meter with the machine one and the lamp switch to the on position and no lamp installed.

Be careful, but if there is no voltage on the lamp socket, then it's between the line in, transformer and switch(es). If there is voltage present, then you may have resistance from corrosion.

John

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 29, 2005 05:17 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you John.
I shall these suggestions. [Wink]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 29, 2005 10:09 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Mad] John, If your there or anyone,Today i checked the bulb with a multi-metre and the resistance within the bulb was 1 mega ohm suggesting that the bulb is good. (as mentioned, i used this bulb once only so far)however, when the metre was put into the contacts onlt 13volts appears to be measured. Hope i tested it ok, one pin was put into 1 pin and the other was earthed onto the body.
We also tried one in each of the two pins and this read 0 [Confused]
Wierd as when the pins were tested individualy they both read 13volts each, it only read 0 if the two pins were placed one each into the projectors bulb plugs. (sorry if i sound dopy but electronics are not my normal game)

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 29, 2005 11:28 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would suggest that there is voltage on BOTH pins and the differential between the pins is indeed zero. That doesn't necessarily mean, however, that there is no voltage on the pins, as you've already seen: they both measure 13V against ground.
Very weird indeed. But you can be sure it's a wiring problem, most likely a short circuit of some kind that lets current bypass the bulb entirely, thus it doesn't light up.

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 29, 2005 01:16 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
can a faulty buld cause this sort of prob even yho the filament is fine?

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 29, 2005 11:27 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I doubt it could...

--------------------

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2005 08:56 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
onlt 13volts appears to be measured. Hope i tested it ok, one pin was put into 1 pin and the other was earthed onto the body.
There is a problem there. The voltage on lamp should be 22-24 volts. You should read 22-24 from one pin to a known earth and 0 volts on the other. The fact you're reading 13 volts is strange and you need to look at the lamp wiring schematic for clues. Normally these projectors use autotransformers which aren't really dual winding transformers but single winding with a take off point for the lower voltage. A low AC line in will produce this problem or it could be a high resistance on a switch, but now you need to trace the voltage thru the machine.

The lamp should read 1-3 ohms, not megohms. But maybe you just misread the scale.

John

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 31, 2005 09:12 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need to pay more attention - I didn't even catch the things John did. Nice job [Eek!]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 01, 2005 12:24 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John, looks like i'm going to have to contact an electrician localy if i can. The machine is very good and in good condition, trouble is i got FOC so i dont want to pay out too much dosh on it.
Thanks for your help, i'll let you know how i get on. Aint it weird, i put a new bulb in it, watch three parts of Cromwell, store the machine and now this. [Confused]

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2005 10:54 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surprised you haven't a spare lamp to try.
I would suggest you get one, it would show if a projector fault or not, allways a good idea to have a spare anyway.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 09, 2005 12:26 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
very true, always have one for 8mm, [Embarrassed]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC