8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Speed variation: Eiki SSL runs a hair fast. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Speed variation: Eiki SSL runs a hair fast.
John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2005 12:59 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I transferred the motors (including the pulleys) . . . .
and the problem didn't transfer. (still 4:48 on the questionable machine.

Did you change the cam tank as well? (That's usually easier than pulling the shutter pulley since they changed the clutch assembly.)

If you changed both the motor and shutter pulley and the motor, then you have a possessed machine. The transformer doesn't have anything to do with the motor. Just unplug it from both machines for the test and see if you change the problem.

The new machine isn't one with "international" wiring by any chance? I've got one of those by some strange method and they're really wired differently than the US product.

John

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted December 06, 2005 10:58 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I may end up swapping out the entire machine [Eek!]
And end up with your other machine running too fast [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

John A. Pommon
Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2005 03:42 AM      Profile for John A. Pommon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did you change the cam tank as well? (That's usually easier than pulling the shutter pulley since they changed the clutch assembly.)
No, haven't swapped out the cam tank [yet].

quote:
(That's usually easier than pulling the shutter pulley since they changed the clutch assembly.)

The stop clutch and shutter pulley come off together with the cam tank assembly.

quote:
If you changed both the motor and shutter pulley and the motor, then you have a possessed machine.
So far I've exchanged just the motor with the motor-pulley on it's shaft.

The wiring for both machines is identical.

The cam tank including it's clutched shutter pulley is next.

Any ideas how these identical looking cam tank assys could affect the speed?

Thanks

John

--------------------
Antique Video Transfer Service
2" Quadruplex videotape to DV/DVCAM digital transfers
5001 Diamond Hts Blvd.
San Francisco, CA 94131-1621
www.antiquevideo.com
antvid@antiquevideo.com

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2005 09:35 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Any ideas how these identical looking cam tank assys could affect the speed?
Yes, the pulley on the shutter shaft is slightly smaller than it should be. If you find some masking tape that you can wrap around the pulley and fit into the groves then that will enlarge it and make the projector run a little slower. The smaller the shutter pullley, the faster the projector will run since the motor pulley will turn at a constant speed. You might even rry the tape test before you remove it. If that's the problems (and you seem to have changed everything else) then you'll have to replace that part.

John

John A. Pommon
Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2005 11:55 PM      Profile for John A. Pommon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, the pulley on the shutter shaft is slightly smaller than it should be.
I removed the cam tanks today . . . the pulleys look as if they match . . . interchanged the tanks. . . .

The "control" projector which 'ran' at normal speed now runs the 5 minute test film in 4:48.

The previosuly "fast" machine now runs the 5 min test in 04:56. [nearly the 5 minute mark].

Can a cam tank make this much difference?

[where's my micrometer] [Mad]

--------------------
5001 Diamond Hts Blvd.
www.antiquevideo.com
antvid@antiquevideo.com

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2005 09:09 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can a cam tank make this much difference?
Yes, and you found the problem. It's the shutter pulley on that cam tank (nothing in the cam tank changes speeds). It doesn't take much to have that speed difference which is why I'd test it with masking tape to build up the small pulley and check the speed. Do one wrap and test and if still fast, add a second wrap and test.

Since I think they went to CNC, there are probably a lot of shutter pulleys around that run at that speed--or there was a slight change in the motor pulley and shutter pulley and you just have the wrong combination. But in any event, the fix is the shutter pulley from a "parts" machine. Unfortunately the SL machines that I have for parts don't have clutches and have have plastic shutter pulleys that have the shutter blade mounted to the pulley (no clutch parts). Also since the sprockets on the SL are a different size than the SSL, the worm gear is different on the cam tank shaft.

John

John A. Pommon
Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2005 03:04 PM      Profile for John A. Pommon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, thanks for the technical support and explanations while I tare down these two machines & swap parts.

I started tinkering and put them both back together before
checking diameters closely with a "myc" . . . rats. . .

I'll look for a scrap SSL on eBay and take it's cam tank pully.
Thanks for your help . . you sure know this stuff inside out.

Regards,

John Pommon

--------------------
5001 Diamond Hts Blvd.
www.antiquevideo.com
antvid@antiquevideo.com

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC