8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » NATCO Projector ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NATCO Projector ?
Dan Lail
Film God

- posted November 19, 2005 01:28 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone ever heard of a NATCO 16mm sound projector? I know John Whittle has. [Smile] I will be picking one up in a couple of days and will probably be refurbishing it and adding it to my collection. [Cool]

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 19, 2005 02:55 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean like this one and this one? [Smile]

Beautiful machine, looks pretty darned cool - and correct me if I'm mistaken, but it looks like they designed it to use some of the projection bulb's light for the optical sound pickup, instead of using a separate exciter lamp. Kind of clever. [Smile]

I still can't figure out how they get these left-handed machines to project the correct, non-mirrored image on the screen, though. [Eek!]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted November 19, 2005 03:35 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, thanks for the links. 64 pounds(ouch#@!). Well, anyway, this one I'm getting is free. Looks like no rear reel arm. Wonder what the reel capacity is? By jove it is a lefty. [Wink]

John A. Pommon
Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2005 02:03 AM      Profile for John A. Pommon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! the link to the one on eBay is pretty cool looking. Surface-mount hardware & threadup - reminds me of a 16mm Moviola Library Reader. A lefthanded 64 pounder . . . talk about a rare & heavy heavy-duty machine . . . . . it should outlive us all . .

[ November 23, 2005, 02:28 AM: Message edited by: John A. Pommon ]

--------------------
Antique Video Transfer Service
2" Quadruplex videotape to DV/DVCAM digital transfers
5001 Diamond Hts Blvd.
San Francisco, CA 94131-1621
www.antiquevideo.com
antvid@antiquevideo.com

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 23, 2005 04:20 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, It's simple. You dont get a mirrored image. The film spools are still on the machine with the correct orientation. The film is still coming off the feed spool correctly so the sprocket holes are to the rear of the machine. On a conventional machine the sprocket holes would be on the outside of the machine.
[Smile]
Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 23, 2005 08:33 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NOW I get it.

I thought the sprocket holes were still facing away from the machine, toward the operator!

Thanks for clearing that up Kevin. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2005 05:59 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyone ever heard of a NATCO 16mm sound projector?
Yes they do weigh alot and are beautifully made for their time period. They also made a projector for Sears at the same time and you'll occasionally see a "Tower" 16mm sound projector that's a left hand thread.

I once through that it would be great to have one of these opposite a right hand thread so that both machines could sit close together to make divergence less for change-over set-ups.

Sure glad you found them before me, I'm a push over for some of these old machines (bought a Kodak Sound projector last summer that was their first made in 1938 that was a "slot load"--missing the amp but rewired and have it running. Take up is 90 degrees on the front so the take up reel doesn't hang over the table. Closed up it looks like an "art deco skyscraper").

John

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted November 24, 2005 09:33 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, John. I'm headed up to see my sis tomorrow(friday). She picked it up in an auction lot and said she thought I might be interested in it. Beautifully made! Great, then I may get lucky and it will be restorable. [Smile]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 25, 2005 06:30 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had a sister like that [Cool]

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted November 27, 2005 01:11 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up the NATCO projector and it is visually in very good condition. The power cord is missing. I'll get some photos on as soon as I clean up the disc space on my domain. This is the power cord with the square female plug. The configuration is four sloted holes in each corner and a small round hole in the center. Of course there are four males on the projector that plug into them. [Eek!] Anyone know where I can find one?

John, it's built like a brick house with lots of shiney chrome metal. There are a few easily acessable oil ports for lubrication. It has a one inch lens in immaculate condition. The model number is 3011. Can't wait to crank this mother up! [Smile]

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2005 01:55 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course there are four males on the projector that plug into them. Anyone know where I can find one?

Sounds like a Cinch-Jones connector, try some of the electronics places on line for "jones" plugs. These were made in hundreds of combinations of male-female chassis, cable, two, three, four and on up. Very poplular during the "tube age". They are still around and if the shipping kills you from Allied Radio and the like, try Ebay!

John

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted November 27, 2005 03:12 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bingo! Thanks, John, Allied has it for $8.97. I'll order one and get started. I knew you would be familiar with this machine. [Wink]

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 13, 2006 12:21 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here are the pics of the NATCO projector. The internal parts and film path are very clean, but the outside case hardware has rust. I still have to order the power cord. [Smile]

Gee dad, it's a NATCO! [Eek!]

web page
web page
web page
web page
web page

Jeff Taylor
Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2006 10:11 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan: Looks like a pair of 6L6's for outputs--that amp probably kicks out the better part of 20 watts. Pretty good for a tube machine.

--------------------
Jeff

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 20, 2006 05:27 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, Have you fired her up yet [Eek!]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 20, 2006 08:35 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev, I haven't bought the power cord yet :-( But I'll bet it works.

Jeff, those tubes are definately 6L6G's of Fender amp fame. These two were made by the Standard Company.

I'll report back when I get a power cord. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC