8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » TQ Range enquiry

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TQ Range enquiry
Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2005 12:45 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which of this ubiquitous range suffered mostly from the worm gear problem?
I have a black TQ111 Mag/Opt and the gear looks fine to me but would like to know what to look out for if it started to give problems.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

|  IP: Logged

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2005 05:11 PM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my limited experience the Green TQ111.

I think the first sign would be the start of a crack in the worm gear.

I have 2 of the later range to the TQs they are 2592s, I think this range had a different fit between the nylon and the metal parts of the worm gear and mine are fine and I've not heard of the problem with this final range.

It is strange that there were black and green TQ111s, I wonder if the black ones were more like the 2500 series.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2005 06:57 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is certainly in superb,almost unused condition and finished in black.I have investigated the drive train and there is no sign of cracking.The original grease has been replaced with a modern equivalent of the type used on 35mm projection equipment.Looks as though I am in the clear with this machine.All I had to do was slightly tweak the 18fps speed pot as it was slow and gave rise to some flicker.It is flicker free now.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC