8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » failed tube amp in Bell &Howell 8399

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: failed tube amp in Bell &Howell 8399
Robert C. Kline
Junior

- posted February 22, 2006 01:08 PM      Profile for Robert C. Kline   Author's Homepage   Email Robert C. Kline   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The tube amp in my 8399 was functioning perfectly well until I started a third, 20 minute film, at which point the speaker output had dropped to a level that was barely audible, even at full volume. So far as I can tell, all components in the amp are original; so I suspect that after 40+ years the culprits could be soft tubes and/or a failure of one or more of the unit's capacitors. I would appreciate any ideas out there as to how to repair this problem or a referral of someone to whom I can ship the unit for repair. Paul Ivester has suggested Ken Layton, but I don't know how to contact him.

--------------------
Bob Kline
Austin, TX

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 23, 2006 01:24 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
The tubes tend to go slowly so I dont think it's that. It's more likely to be a dried up capacitor. Make sure you have got some muck on the sound lens etc.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2006 09:13 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a classic example of a coupling cap failure. This happened so often with the old RCA 400 that the schematic I got from a service man had the part circled!

If the "noise" from the amp is the same, it's likely in the early stages such as the sound input to the first stage.

BTW I thought that the 8399's had the solid state amp, could it be you have a 399?

John

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC