8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16mm home movies from the approx 1930-40

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16mm home movies from the approx 1930-40
Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2006 05:42 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello people

I have been fooling around with 8mm films for some years now and am quite familiar with that format. Handling, storage and such. In my family we have some old 16 mm films that where shot by my grandfather ca 1930-40. They have been stored in metal cans as far as I know and maybe 20 years ago they where transferred to video 2000 (DOH!).

I do not know in what state they are in now, but what would one expect?
What is the archival quality of the 16mm films from this era?
Do you have any general advice as to what should be done with them to keep them pristine?
And is that possible?
Any trivia?

I think this was shot with a Agfa magazine camera, and a siemens “heimat” projector was used for showing.

|  IP: Logged

Germaine Fodor
Junior

- posted May 12, 2006 06:00 AM      Profile for Germaine Fodor   Author's Homepage   Email Germaine Fodor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Knut--

This is a really short answer to your question(s), but just to head you in the right direction I would say- start here: http://www.homemovieday.com/

It doesn't look like there's yet a Norweigan branch for Home Movie Day...still, this link is a good inlet to a lot of small-gauge film archival resources.

-Germaine

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2006 07:04 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Knut, Germaine has a good link for you to check out, make sure you see the links for in depth information on storage and preservation.

In short however, films were originally kept in metal or plastic tins to keep them free from dust, water and other damage. Recent research however has shown that film also needs to breath in order to stop Vinegar Syndrome commencing. Film is now being stored in cardboard boxes and wound through or projected regularly to ensure it is exposed to air. Your cool temperature in Norway would be an advantage to film preservation.

Your local Norway Film Archive would have some information on their website or in handout flyers to best assist you in your part of the world. Here in Australia we need to cope with extemes of heat which is the enemy of film. I have films dating back to the 1920's stored here in my home and they have fared well despite being stored in a shed for many years.

Problems of Colour fade and Vinegar Syndrome in safety film were first detected in India in the 1950's. This is an example of how heat combined with humidity can radidly accelerate the two deterioration processes mentioned. In other words, you want your film stored in condtions the opposite to those in India!

Good luck,
David

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2006 02:50 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much, both of you. I'll be reeding up on storage tips from the link posted.

quote:
Your cool temperature in Norway would be an advantage to film preservation.
Right now I would agree with you. It's spring time, everything is blossoming, flowers, trees, people, but there is a cold wind outside and only about 15 degrees C. In august\september it's a lovely 20 to 30 degrees C. ahhh...summertime...

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2006 06:39 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds very pleasant Knut. We have to contend with temperatures in the low single digits on the coldest Winter nights 1 - 5 degrees celcius, all the way up to the 40's in Summer. We had several days this past January that were over 42 degrees celcius. These extreme temperature swings throughout the year make it very difficult to keep film at an even cool temp, even with air conditioning.

The archival quality of even the earliest 16mm films can be excellent in the right condtions. Kodak actually promotes its Super 8 and 16mm film products as having "proven archival qualities". You will find that filmarchives all over the world still prefer to have most of their movies stored on 16mm and 35mm film.

Is your film colour or B & W?

Regards,
David

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2006 07:47 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mind you, in the wintertime it can be -20 celsius...

Actually I am not 100% shure, David. I think most of it is b\W but also some color films. At the moment they are cept in metal containers in a basement with fairly cool and stable temperatures. As far as storage goes I guess that is not to bad apart from the breathing aspect.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC