8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16mm Rental Library?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16mm Rental Library?
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2006 02:53 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all... Does anyone know if there still exists a 16mm rental library in the US? I know there used to be tons of them years ago but I'm not sure if they are extinct. I was thinking of having an outdoor film festival for friends this summer and didn't want to actually buy more films. Any tips would be appreciated via email. BrianH9249 at aol dot com

[ June 10, 2006, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Kevin Faulkner ]

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 09, 2006 04:08 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I'm in the UK, I looked into this a while back and discovered Swank. This page http://www.swank.com/art/16mmrelease.asp indicates that they have some recent releases in their library.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 10, 2006 04:41 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, Hope ypou dont mind but I editied the email address you put at the end of your post.

It's not really a good idea to display your normal email address in the threads as you will possibly find that it gets nabbed by spammers and you will then end up with all sorts of junk every day.

It just helps to cut that problem down if you write it like I have for you. It stops them just copying and pasting them into their address lists and also stops scanning software finding them on forums etc.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2006 08:07 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kev - I never really thought about spammers. I definitely don't need more of that so I'll be more careful in the future.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2006 02:25 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I found these two links:

http://www.zipporah.com/

http://www.cinemaweb.com/silentfilm/16rent35.htm

Jörg

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2006 06:49 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some more links:
http://www.reelclassics.com/Buy/films.htm

http://www.nrhs.com/avlib/16mmg-q.htm

http://www.umass.edu/defa/

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 12, 2006 08:49 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some good links provided here but I must say that in general, film libraries seem to be hopeless at providing details of what they have on 16mm. Often, you can search for titles but when the details come up, there's no indication of whether the film is available on 16mm.

Filmbank in the UK have a large 16mm library, even though they don't add to it, but if you look at their website, although some (not all) of their 16mm titles show up as available on 16mm, you would have great difficulty finding ANY indications elsewhere on the site that 16mm exists! Similarly, the BFI has a substantial 16mm library, but I defy anyone to actually obtain or see a list of exactly what's in it!

If anyone doing similar research finds a library that actually seems to promote the use of 16mm, please say so as they deserve further publicity.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2006 12:29 PM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another link: http://www.modernsoundpictures.com/FHWP.html. Among the newer titles that can be rented from "Modern Sound" are "Finding Nemo", "The Incredibles", and "Home on the Range".
By the way: Have you seen the latest additions to the "Swank" 16mm-catalog: "The Chronicles of Narnia", "W&G - Curse of the Were-Rabbit", "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" and "Chicken Little"?

Eberhard

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2006 11:32 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
maybe it's out of topic, but I wonder if there is somebody selling recent 16mm titles for private use only. I've seen in links you indicated that some of them sell film but not newer ones, or they sell to libraries or schools only.
Does anybody knows if there is some place where to buy film printed in the last few years? (apart ebay of course...)
Thanks!
Fabrizio

Jeff Taylor
Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2006 03:03 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody sells recent titles except for the ones which find their way out of Swank's or Modern's inventory and end up on ebay. One of the main reasons why so few new titles are carried by the remaining rental houses is the rediculous minimum print order size--reportedly 100 prints--which far exceeds the demand and is a huge expense to the rental libraries. For those titles which are printed I'd bet many of those prints never go out on rental!

--------------------
Jeff

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 27, 2006 06:56 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another out of topic question.

How the library can sure that films are returned unscratch? Do they check the film from start to end every time people rent it (how waste the time).

Then with a normal usage, how many time of show that film will finally naturally be scratched?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2006 11:08 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jeff for clarifying me the question, it's sad but unfortunately it's always the same story: money reason.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 01, 2006 04:58 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"How the library can sure that films are returned unscratch? Do they check the film from start to end every time people rent it"

I'd be surprised if a library would normally check for new scratches, but some might use a device which can identify splices and sprocket damage.

"Then with a normal usage, how many time of show that film will finally naturally be scratched?"

That all comes down to whether the film is shown by competent people with well-maintained equipment. Personally, I could run a film 100 times and I'd be very disappointed to see any sign of scratches. It always surprises me when some collectors say that visible signs of wear are inevitable after a while.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Peter Berrett
Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2006 09:54 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Likewise I'd be interested to hear of film libraries in Australia. Village Roadshow had one for a while but I understand that has been sold to a third party.

Anyone know who is renting out 16mm films in Australia? And how much they charge? The only one I know of is ACMI.

Regards Peter

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC