8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » TV Prints

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TV Prints
Peter Berrett
Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2006 05:29 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

I was reading the definition of Telerecording at Wikipedia (an interesting process)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telerecording

and I remembered that there are a number of so called 'TV Films' for sale at Ebay and elsewhere.

Are these films true copies of the original films or are they scanned using the Telerecording porocess from a TV source?

That aside has anyone here ever projected a Telerecorded film? How does the projected quality compare with a normal film?

Regards Peter

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2006 08:35 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Commonly called Kinescope recording or "kinnies" in the US, these were used for delayed broadcast of live programs in the 50's up to the introduction of quad videotape. After that they were used for extended news film distribution. At one time ABC had a division DEF (for direct electronic feed) and when the wire ran out, we shot kinnies in Seattle that were shipped to Alaska and Hawaii and the Pacific Islands.

Generally the shows you find on ebay are film copies of film shows and not kinnescopes. While a kinnie could be shot as a direct positive (from a negative on the tv tube) or a negative for printing, they were genenrally 16mm and not a large number of prints were made.

The big weekend news film at Alpha Cine would be 10 to 15 prints for ABCDEF, Reuters.

So your chances of getting a kinescope of Mayberry or That Girl are pretty much between zero and nil.

John

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC