8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » The right price for brand new Elmo 16CL

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The right price for brand new Elmo 16CL
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 16, 2006 06:57 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I am more on 8mm, but since my friend came to me with two brand new Elmo 16-CL (one still in a sealed box, the other one, the box got worn out), I am trying to get to know more.

If he asks for US$ 800 each, does it sound fair?

What is the range for a good second hand stuff for this brand?

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 16, 2006 08:27 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$800 for each??

Way too much, if you ask me - even considering that these machines are brandnew. Actually, if they have indeed never been used since they were built, there could be problems with old/loose belts and dried-out grease now. Definitely test before you buy, and even if they run great... I probably wouldn't spend much more than $200-$300 on one of these. (But then that's just me, and I'm going by how much I've seen used ones sell on eBay for...)

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2006 09:57 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jan

$800 is a bit high for a brand new machine, but not completely insane...

IIRC, These things cost about $1500 from Elmo.

I'm assuming here that it's really new, in the original box.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 17, 2006 10:26 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$250-300 is a good price for a CL, $300-350 is fine for a machine featuring mag sound and $350-400 is ok for a deluxe version (with soft-touch buttons and remote control).
All fitted with 50mm lens and featuring the small genuine platic take-up reel, dust cover and instruction manual.
More expensive with extra/different accessories and lenses (12.5, 20, 38, 75 mmm or zoon extension).
I wouldn't pay more than 400 for a brand new regular CL.
These are really fine machines. Soft on films. Check the belts, though...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 17, 2006 01:04 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven: I actually agree with you - but it all depends on how you define 'new' ... new as in just recently manufactured, or new as in 10 or 20 years old and never used? I was in fact talking about the latter scenario, and that's where $800 seems overpriced. For a truly new machine, though, it seems like a decent price.

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2006 03:13 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to know..

All of my projectors are Xenon now, so I don't have much experience in what the current market price is for standard machines. I do know that the glut of machines that we saw about 5 years ago seems to be over - there are nowhere near as many around as there used to be.

Before the glut, a used 16-CL often sold for $250-$350. Then the prices tumbled to $50-$150. Now, I've seen them selling often for $200 or so again..

You're somewhat right about the issue with old stock - but if they're the more recent version of the 16-cl, then there won't be any issues with belts. Elmo fixed the belt problems at some point (in the 80s I think) and if you ran across a machine made after that point, it would be fine....

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2006 07:45 PM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently bought a 16-CL Deluxe.
How do I know if I have a "new" version, without the belt problems?

-

I like this projector a lot. The loading goes real easy and without problems.
The only problem is the optical sound. It hardly works. I tried an external speaker, but that didn't fix the problem. Can it be dirt? And how can I clean it?

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 19, 2006 11:55 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember that some versions of these have problems with the take up belt like steve says on the rear arm so you really need to see a toothed belt in the rear arm( two small screws easily removed and replaced) if it does have a toothed belt OK.It can be a right going on affecting rewinding too.( toothed belts OK)

If either have the flat older style belt best avoided really as expensive to fix and I hear the pricey upgrades are now out of stock.
You should be able to pick up a nice eiki 16mm for less than $100
also on the CL`s the rubber rollers can perish often, you can get them from a chap on ebay USA but more expense on already high prices.
best Mark.

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2006 01:18 PM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark,

I checked the belts and both front and rear arm have toothed belts. The rear arm has a broad, orange belt and the front arm has a small, black belt.
The motor belt is also a small, black, toothed belt.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2006 03:29 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello to all,

From what I understand,
the Elmo 16 CL was eventually
bought out by Eastman Kodak.

Kodak upgraded the projector
by fixing the take up unit
that eventully failed under the
Elmo brand.

The Kodak upgraded badged
projector was the Kodak CT 1000.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 21, 2006 09:44 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

Kodak also unfortunately decided not to include the CL Deluxe's remote capability on the CT-1000. There's no remote jack!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2006 02:31 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael --

That's not quite right.

Elmo was not bought out by Kodak -- rather Kodak rebadged Elmo projectors and sold them under the Kodak brand after they stopped making their own projectors. Similarly Bell And Howell started selling Eiki projectors under their name. Elmo and Eiki continued to sell the same (or very similar) projectors under their own names.

The take up belt refit was done by Elmo, not Kodak.. All of the later models (both Elmo branded and Kodak branded machines have the proper toothed belt

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2006 09:42 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One just sold on ebay Australia for $51!

I always liked them and seeing what they are going for now I should probably snap one up.

Kodak here in Australia at their former Coburg head office had a projection room equipped with 35mm Xenon Cinemecanica equipment and next to it a Kodak CT 1000; good to know they use their own products.

Carlos Plaza
Junior

- posted August 25, 2006 05:15 PM      Profile for Carlos Plaza   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Plaza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys...A year ago I 'inherited' a 16CL from my father-in-law. It is an older version, which needed some work...the take-up reel assembly and the rollers. The good news is that Elmo USA still sells these parts. I got the upgraded take-up reel assembly and all new rollers for less than $100 US. This machine now purrs like a kitten. If anyone is interested, let me know, and I will provide details. [Smile]

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2006 11:51 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug and Steven:

Well it's good to know.
Thank you.

Carlos,

Sounds great, happy shows!
[Smile]

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC