8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Exciter Lamps

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exciter Lamps
Ramesh Sapra
Junior

- posted September 23, 2006 11:24 PM      Profile for Ramesh Sapra   Email Ramesh Sapra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently acquired a B&H Model 3585 (Eiki SNT) Projector that calls for a BRK exciter lamp. Older B&H models use the BAK lamp. Are they interchangeable with BRK, or is there another substitute? BRKs don't seem to be too readily available.
Appreciate any help. Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2006 05:21 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Ramesh and welcome to the forums. You will find using the incorrect type of exciter lamp will cause no sound or low and poor quality sound so a BRK is defintely a must for your machine. I have a stock of BRK exciter lamps, new, unused and boxed, at UK £2.50 each (about $5 USD) or three for £6 (about $12 USD) plus shipping costs to your location. If you are interested send me a PM and I will forward my details to you.
Kevin

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2006 12:46 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a major difference between the BRK for the Eiki made projector and the Bell & Howell made machine which uses the BAK lamp. The filament of the lamps are 90 degrees different from one ot the other. They are made to mount in the machine differently.

Exciter lamps must orient the filamanet to the slit and then have the proper current draw for the power supply. There are a couple of versions of the BRK lamp, the lamp made in Japan has a smaller glass envelope than the US or ASA code lamp. This doesn't matter in your machine but earlier Eiki machines (such as the MS-860 and MS-850 and their xenon equivalents) will not allow the lamp house cover to seat if the US lamp is installed.

John

Ramesh Sapra
Junior

- posted October 14, 2006 03:11 PM      Profile for Ramesh Sapra   Email Ramesh Sapra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for your responses, they were certainly very helpful. Just wanted to add that I ended up purchasing (3) lamps from Kevin Clark in England. They arrived in California in immaculate condition, plus after having checked prices on e-Bay, it turned out that this deal cost me less than buying one lamp anywhere else. Thanks again, Kevin.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC