8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Sound Kodascope Special

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sound Kodascope Special
Ryan Reuterskiold
Junior

- posted October 11, 2006 09:51 PM      Profile for Ryan Reuterskiold   Email Ryan Reuterskiold   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering if anyone out there owns, or knows the wherabouts of, a Sound Kodascope Special. I recently added one to my collection, but tragically, the separate amplifer and speaker case is missing. I'd be really curious to know of the location of another, in the hopes of seeing a picture or two of what the speaker / amp unit looked like. The projector itself is a thing of beauty!!

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2006 08:13 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ryan,

Welcome to the Forum.
It does sound beautiful,
although I am not familiar
with the model.
It would be fun to share it
if you can post an image
of this model.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Ryan Reuterskiold
Junior

- posted October 13, 2006 10:24 AM      Profile for Ryan Reuterskiold   Email Ryan Reuterskiold   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael -

Thanks for your reply. I'll try to get some pictures of it on here to show. It is indeed a neat machine.

Atcually, I found this site as the result of Google search I did on "Sound Kodascope Special". Apparently John Whittle made a post on here in 2005, indicating that he also had one of these machines (sans amplifier). I tried to contact him via the private email function, but apparently he has it disabled. [Frown] I was wanting to know if he knew any of his machine's history, as they seem quite scarce.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2006 04:35 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ryan,

Indeed, John Whittle is a tremendous resource,
and genuinly helpful. He places much care in his
replies - to which we are all greatful.

I suppose that you could begin a thread
with Attention John Whittle! Or need help
with this Sound Kodascope Special.

Best Wishes,
Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2006 11:01 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry guys, just check in every now and again and missed this.

Yes I have a Kodak Special. I believe they date to 1937 and the history (or so it goes) was it was built during the depression at the Hawkeye plant to keep "the boys busy" and authorized by Capstaff himself (one of the heads of Kodak under George). They were very expesnive during the depression and I think very few were made. Some claim between 250 and 350 machines.

Here is the projector as packed (this is not mine but another that was sold on ebay awhile back for $350.00--I was outbid).

-

Here is a picture of my machine (before clean up). I had to rewire it but it runs and projects fine. The amp would connect on the jones connector in the front bottom. The unit has the exciter lamp and a tube pre-amp in the projector. The reostat controls the exciter lamp which controls the volume.

A beautiful and well made piece of equipment. The front take-up reel runs at 90 degress to the projector and to rewind, the feed arm rotate 90 degress and a dedicated motor rewinds the film. The projector does not run in reverse.

-

Here is a montage of the projector (this one is not mine)

-

John

Ryan Reuterskiold
Junior

- posted October 18, 2006 10:25 AM      Profile for Ryan Reuterskiold   Email Ryan Reuterskiold   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!! Thanks John, for the great post and the awesome pictures. I was not aware of the history (ie being built under Capstaff at Hawkeye). Yes, they were very expensive - $800.00 new (over $10,000 in today's dollars). Bear in mind that $750.00 would buy you a new Chevrolet sedan in 1937!!

I would even go so far as to say these machines border on peices of art and I'm always interested in researching who on the Kodak's staff were responsible for some of these great deco peices. Most of us are well aware of Kodak's long association with the great W.D. Teague - a search of the design patent number appearing on the Sound Special confirms Teague's involvement by his signature on the patent drawings. Have a look at the link below, if interested. Again, thanks John!!

[URL=http://patimg2.uspto.gov/.piw?docid=US0D0099675&SectionNum=2&IDKey=F39C1B3E20D7&HomeUrl=http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1%2526Sect2=HITOFF%2526d=PALL%2526p= 1%252]http://patimg2.uspto.gov/.piw?docid=US0D0099675&SectionNum=2&IDKey=F39C1B3E20D7&HomeUrl=http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1%2526Sect2=HITOFF%2526d=PALL%2526p =1%252[/URL] 6u=%25252Fnetahtml%25252FPTO%25252Fsrchnum.htm%2526r=1%2526f=G%2526l=50%2526s1=D099675.PN.%2526OS=PN/D099675%2526RS=PN/D099675

[ October 18, 2006, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Ryan Reuterskiold ]

Ryan Reuterskiold
Junior

- posted October 21, 2006 07:51 AM      Profile for Ryan Reuterskiold   Email Ryan Reuterskiold   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John...once again, thanks for posting the info on your Sound Kodascope Special. Out of curiousity, what is the serial number of your machine? Mine is 113, and it clearly has a couple differences. For one, the "trial switch" for threading is a black push button on mine, where yours appears to be a toggle swtich (by the upper loop area). Also, you have what appears to be a 1/4 inch jack (mike input?) on the lower right, near the Jones plug. Mine has the hole there, but has a chrome plug in the hole instead of a jack.

One last request...would it be possible for you to send me a picture of the left hand side of your machine, specifically the area around the 110 volt recessed male outlet? Mine appears to have been modified in some way, but I can't say for sure. Thanks again!!

- Ryan

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC