8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Newcomer to 16mm collecting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Newcomer to 16mm collecting
Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2006 11:13 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings all,

I have just gotten into the world of 16mm collecting, and have enjoyed reading the many insights from the various members here as a guide to the various aspects of the hobby.
I started doing Super-8 filming in my teens (many years ago!) and also collected a bit back then. I kept my gear and films, and now I got bitten by the 16mm bug.

I currently have an Eiki SSL-O, and I just purchased one of Mr. Morelli's SSLs with several lenses, to match the set-up.

In terms of film, my "library" consists of a full print of "King Kong", with a full-length "Cabaret" on the way....I have resigned myself not to try to explain why I am doing this to any of my acquaintances, since they would not 'get it', but that's ok :-) (I am sure some of you have been in the same position.)
Suffice to say, film is film...and that is all that can be said, really.

Glad to be on board,
Best,
Claus Harding.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 24, 2006 11:23 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus,

Welcome to the Forum! Yes, we've all found ourselves in the exacxt same situation.....trying to explain this hobby to folks who wonder why we just don't pop in a dvd....
Glad that you're here!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 25, 2006 01:38 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Claus. Ah, that same old song...
In my business, people keep asking me why we keep building rollercoasters out of wood when they could be all steel...
Well, why do we still use sailing ships when we could use motor boats? Why do we ride bicycles when we could be riding motorbikes?

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2006 11:37 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus

Hi. Don't worry about Jean-Marc........

He is receiving treatment........ [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 25, 2006 06:42 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do we talk to Tony when we could be looking at his mugshot...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2006 08:08 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus,

Welcome to the Forum.

Wy do I cllect fmls?

Vrey ez.

Becuze it is fun.

Ist a langwich that olny we
undersatnd.

Who cairs if thye don't git it.

Michal

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2006 12:15 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I can see I'll be in good company here :-). Now comes the real challenge: not making myself homeless by buying every 'must-have' print I come across (And some people still think only drugs are addictive...)

Best,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2006 08:43 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus....welcome. I live in Manassas and work in D.C. so it's good to have another area collector. When I get a chance , I'll go through my collection and send you a list of things that I may want to sell......I don't price things high at all. What type of films are you interested in. I noticed you have Kong... my all time favorite and the second 16mm film I ever bought ( 1972). I still have it and have run it many times for many groups and my 6 year old daughter says it's her favorite movie. Anyway, welcome to the hobby. It's fun.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC