8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Bulb Removal Problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bulb Removal Problem
Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2006 07:42 AM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey All,

I have a Kodak Pageant 8k5, that I recently restored the sound in. I am now having problems removing the bulb. I have gone through all the obvious attempts, but have had no luck. Other than that it runs like a dream. Any help would be great.

Thanks, Brad

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2006 08:53 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
I presume you're talking about the projection lamp and not the exciter lamp, hopefully.

What happens over time is that the base of the lamp winds up "soldering" itself to the connector. If you can twist the lamp and the spring pops it up, but it still won't come out, that's what the problem is.

Normally you can press down the lamp and twist it so that tabs are free of the lamp socket and it'll pop up.

If it won't turn at all, you may have to break the lamp and use a mechanical device to press and twist the lamp out.

If it's soldered itself in to the socket, you probably have to experiment with different methods. The few times I've had this problem, I've been able to break the lamp and use a long screwdriver or other tool to twist the lamp and break the solder connection.

In the world where parts are available, you break the lamp, remove the socket and replace it.

John

Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2006 09:59 AM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

I have another question. What is the purpose of the lever to the right of the Projector bulb inside the housing around the lamp? I haven't preessed down on the lamp yet. A friend of mine said you were to turn it counter clockwise and it would pop up. I was trying to turn it with tube pullers.

I will try and press down this time. After I do get it out, and all is well should it be easier getting it in?

Thanks, Brad

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2006 01:04 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't find the service manual and the projector itself is burried under lots of other stuff. I think that lever is to push the bulb up after you've turned it. I thought they used the spring loaded bottom contact, but maybe not.

Follow your friends advice, press down and do the quarter turn counter clockwise. You should be able to see the tabs on the lamp move to the relieved portion of the socket and then remove the lamp.

There are times the lamp will blister and have to be broken and in some extreme cases of poor cooling, it may burst in use. In those instances, you'll have to use something to rotate the base out of the socket. But if you can keep the bulb intact, by all means do so, it's much safer and you wont' have to try and remove all those chards of glass.

John

Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2006 07:23 AM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

I tried pushing and turning the bulb, and it worked. I was then able to put the bulb back in with ease, and it still worked.

Thanks for the advice, Brad

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC