8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Battle of the projectors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Battle of the projectors
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 08, 2007 09:11 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I expect we all have our fave 16mm projectors, but I wondered what others might like more.. I have B&H and Eiki machines and both have plus points such as the 3 tooth claw in Bell & Howell against the 2 tooth Elf with a rather sharp pull down from it. Yet the B&H suffers from worm gear split unlike the simple design of the Elf. One screwdriver just about does it all on an Elf. Whats your views folks??

|  IP: Logged

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2007 11:12 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I think you have summed it up very well.
I have B&H projectors and I like them when they have a good worm gear. I've had Elf/Eiki but decided to settle with B&H. This due to having a good sellection of Lenses etc., these are a lot more plentifull than Elf/Eiki and thus more reasonable price wise.
I have found the last dark grey/brown models to be OK for the worm gear, I did think they were a different plastic on metal or dimensional different but I've been told that is not the case. So why I've found them to be OK is a mystery, I have 3 of these at present.
The worst for worm trouble I've found is the TQ 111 green models total in worm failure, followed by TQ11 50% 'ish. and TQ1 only 25% OK.
Of couse if one finds any B&H with a solid plastic replaced worm gear the projector could well run for ever.
If one requires more light than the usual 24v 250w lamp then one as to look to Elf/Eiki for Xenon models.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2007 12:51 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own 2 B&H 2580s and one 2585. I only buy them because they're so plentiful in supply and they seem to be the brand that most re-furbishers prefer to work on. I never realy see too many refurbed ELMOs, KODAKs or EIKIs. I usually see them offered "AS IS" and we all know what that means - JUNK! I normally won't pay more than $75-$100 for a used, non-refurbed B&H and take my chances. For a totally refurbed model I would probably go $275-$250.

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2007 01:11 PM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the Eiki/Elf machines I have had most were non runners as you say, but all they needed was 1,2,3, or 4 belts. £10 a set on Ebay.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2007 05:50 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently running 2 elf st/m 16mm projectors,i bought one from a dealer for £60 that has been very well looked after and the other machine was an e-bay purchase for £20.The 2nd machine did need a clean and a set of belts (£7.99),runs just the same.Lenses are easier to get for the B & H machines,and i agree that the elf machines are of simple design.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC