8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Ampro projectors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ampro projectors
David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2007 11:45 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have any experience of the Ampro Simplex range of Stylist projectors?

I am seriously toying with venturing into the 16mm world as well as staying with 8mm, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Going back more years than I care to remember, my school used to have the Ampro Premier range of projectors, and I recall, even at that young tender age, and as a budding engineer, being impressed with both the picture and sound quality.

I think the Premier range might be a little long-in-the-tooth for today, but the Stylist models do appear from time to time.

Comments anyone??

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

|  IP: Logged

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2007 05:50 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,
late model Bell and Howells and Eiki/Elfs are reliable and spares are always available. If you want to dip your toe into the 16mm world you can't do better than these machines.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2007 01:39 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

Thanks for that. Next question - optical or magnetic sound - or both? Which films are more prolific in 16mm, or are they about equal?

--------------------
Dave.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2007 08:54 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,I have recently got into 16mm films,and i think it would be fair to say that most of the films are optical sound,a few magnetic sound films are around but not as common.Both my machines are Elf optical only machines and are easy to get spares for,plus they are an inexpensive way into 16mm.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2007 09:20 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds encouraging, Mark.

Just out of interest, do you shoot any 16mm films? I might also be looking for a 16mm movie camera at some stage!

I've had varying degrees of success with shooting Super 8, even though I have a couple of 'top-of-the-range' Bauer cameras. Shooting Standard 8 with my trusty Sankyo Auto 5X has NEVER been a problem. Results are always 100%!

Just wondered.

--------------------
Dave.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2007 04:21 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,no sorry i don't shoot 16mm,I'm the same as you with super 8 but since Kodachrome K40 was stopped i haven't done any.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2007 05:48 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody seems to have commented on the Ampro projectors themselves. [Frown]

Is this because they are crap, or that nobody has one?

They do appear to be well engineered machines, as far as I can make out; plus the fact that I like the look of them - not of paramount importance, I know, but there it is! [Cool]

--------------------
Dave.

Jeff Taylor
Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2007 01:02 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first machine was a Super Stylist. I found it quite noisy with so-so sound, and quickly traded it for an RCA400 (this was back in the mid-1960's). Unless you're interested in obscure older machines I'd take a pass. For a daily user stick to an Elmo or Eiki (Elf).

--------------------
Jeff

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2007 04:58 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your input, Jeff.

I must admit the older machines do fascinate me, and I have just been offered an Ampro Stylist Major Mark 3 in mint and virtually unused condition.

I'll see what it's like and then proceed with an Eiki or Elmo if it turns out to be rubbish - but it will be fun finding out. As it's in such good cosmetic condition, I could always just hang on to it as a show-piece.

Other film buffs I have conversed with also recommend the two machines you mention, so I am sure that will be the way to go next.

BTW, have you seen the Ampro Premier 20 on eBay at the moment? Item No. 150081638805. It's only £15 ($30) with no bids.....could be interesting too, as another collector's item!!

Best,

--------------------
Dave.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC