8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 50Hz or 60Hz Whats this function for?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 50Hz or 60Hz Whats this function for?
Pablo Alvarez Roth
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2007 01:19 AM      Profile for Pablo Alvarez Roth   Email Pablo Alvarez Roth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed on my eiki 16mm projector that you can set the motor drive belt for 50 or 60Hz,

whats this funtion for?

Looking at the manual and the projector I think it is set at 50Hz is this correct?.

thanks
pablo.

|  IP: Logged

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2007 04:22 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Pablo,

This is to enable the motor to run at the correct speed on either a 50Hz or a 60Hz mains supply.

The motor is frequency conscious as well as voltage conscious, so as well as selecting the correct voltage for your projector, you will need to select the correct frequency.

The electricity supply in Chile is indeed 50Hz, so you are OK to leave it as it is.

If you were to change the setting to 60Hz, the motor will think it is on a higher frequency than it actually is, and will therefore run slower. If you were in a country where the supply frequency was 60Hz, and you changed the setting to 50Hz, then the motor would run faster.

OK?

Best,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Pablo Alvarez Roth
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2007 04:45 PM      Profile for Pablo Alvarez Roth   Email Pablo Alvarez Roth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

great information

Pablo.

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2007 09:46 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

Is this not also for changing to silent speed and vise versa? Or is this for RT series only.

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2007 01:25 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris,

No. The change from 50Hz to 60Hz is 17%. The change from sound speed to silent speed is 44%, or 66% going the other way!

So, depending on which way you look at it, there is quite a large difference in the resultant speed between the two. You can work it out either as: what percentage is 50 of 60, or what percentage is 60 of 50? Similarly with the 16fps vs. 24fps. OK?

Best,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC