8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » I wouldn't play it on that!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I wouldn't play it on that!
Robert Pitman
Junior

- posted April 16, 2007 07:32 AM      Profile for Robert Pitman   Email Robert Pitman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curious to know what 16mm projector you would NOT let your most treasured film near.

--------------------
Why do transformers hum?
Because they don't know the words.....

|  IP: Logged

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2007 12:52 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The very ancient GB L516 ! [Eek!]

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Robert Pitman
Junior

- posted April 16, 2007 03:54 PM      Profile for Robert Pitman   Email Robert Pitman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit I had to Google that one.

-

I see what you mean. It looks a bit ropey and being a clumsy person I would probably get my hand caught around the belt and bring the whole thing down on my foot.
Rob

--------------------
Why do transformers hum?

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2007 05:29 PM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The GBL516 is a very good machine, but might be some trouble operating it by modern projectionists.

Over the past twenty years I have brought, and sold, three of these machines, and apart from not liking splicey films, found that it treated film very well if you give it the correct maintenance, and look after it.

For more information please go to http://www.cinephoto.co.uk/16mm_9_gbl516.htm

Sorry Bell & Howell fans, but I personally would not touch a modern Bell & Howell, or Hell & Shredder as they are sometimes called.
Too much to go wrong, and complicated gear replacement.

Hugh.

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Robert Pitman
Junior

- posted April 17, 2007 03:24 AM      Profile for Robert Pitman   Email Robert Pitman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, look at the metal case on the back. I can see why its called the "Toaster".
Is that a wooden case? It looks homemade.

Rob

--------------------
Why do transformers hum?

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 17, 2007 03:24 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After coming home from Stage School in London as a young boy I used to visit a friend who had a 516 and we used to watch George Formby films on it. Memories come flooding back..

Around ten years ago I used to visit another lad who had a 16mm Victor. My that was an experience and a machine I would avoid today.
Trouble is these days we are spoilt for choice due to the sell off of the Elf machines and the like from education departments.

I use the 16mm Elf Super Slot-Load which is superb and also a modern dark grey Bell & Howell which gives a rock steady picture. Do like the Elf very much also and it seems to run much quieter than its NT relation possibly due to its slot design and extra cover around the gate area.

Thats my likes and dislikes.

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2007 05:24 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The GBL516 was inside a wooden case. This could be removed by undoing six screws to enable easy access to the workings.
As it was designed for use in hostile, to projectors, surroundings it was made so that it was easy to get to all the working parts.

Lee mentions a Victor projector.
I had one of these, can not remember the model, sometime in the late 1950s. The sound drum flywheel was on the operating side with the drum behind it. Most awkward to lace up, and keep film tension.
It also had a single bladed shutter that used to whizz around at twice the speed of the two bladed type.

One of the best machines that I have used is the Specto 500, but this only takes silent film.
Built like a tank, and very kind to films.

The Danson was also a fine projector. Only used one sprocket, had optical framing, and seemed to run film in any condition.
It was unusual as it was operated from the left side, and not the right side as on other machines

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 17, 2007 07:04 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh. Good to read you like the Specto 500. I have the 9.5 - 16 version of this and my dad used to use one with a optical sound unit which bolted on just after the exit sprocket. Worked well he tells me. Dad now nearly 90 but still loves that Specto 500.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2007 01:14 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, my father had the Specto dual gauge m/c with tbe ACE sound unit for 9.5mm optical sound films. I cut my filmic teeth on that projector in the 1960's. Still have the instruction book for it but sadly the Specto is long gone.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2007 06:07 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never knew that you could get a bolt on sound head for the Specto.
Most interesting.

Was it made by Specto, some other firm, or home made?
Have you any photos that you can post on the site?

Hugh.

--------------------

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2007 09:30 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sound unit was not made by Specto. It was Associated Cine Equipments (ACE) of Erith in Kent. It was an inverted 'L' shaped unit with the Specto sitting on top. You Had to remove the lower spool arm of the Specto as the unit had 900ft (9.5mm) spool capacity. The Flywheel was externally mounted so prying fingers were not encouraged!.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC