8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16mm projector lens.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16mm projector lens.
Tassos Laudas
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2007 07:18 PM      Profile for Tassos Laudas   Email Tassos Laudas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently been given an 1,3 35/65mm Xenon lens, made by ISCO Germany, for my Bauer p8 that carries the original 1,3 35/65mm lens already. As i haven't found the ideal conditions to make comparisons yet i am wondering which one is supposed to be better? Is the Xenon one supposed to provide more light? If yes, would this be at the expense of sharpnes or the opposite? I am really curious

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2007 04:10 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds as if they're both the same. The speed (1.3) refers to how "fast" the lens is (and f/stop is a mathmatical computation a T/stop is a measured amount and may differ from an f/stop). Sound as if the difference is probably the engraving, BUT the only real test for any lens is putting a picture up on the screen with a good test chart. Lens in the same manfacturing lot will be different. Cinematographer have their favorite lenses and request them by serial number from Panavision when ordering a camera package for a feature.

A theatre may try several lenses to a find a matched pair, although with platters this is less the case than in the past with first run houses.

In short, test the lens, make sure the room is dark, the film is good and the projector is at a right angle to the screen and without keystone.

Check them thru the entire zoom range and you may find one sharper at one point than the other lens.

John

Tassos Laudas
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2007 05:10 PM      Profile for Tassos Laudas   Email Tassos Laudas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John i really appreciate your answering. I simply thought that "xenon" meant superior quality compared with non xenon lenses. Anyway i did test the two and found out that the xenon one gives a relatively yellow picture although somewhat brighter while the other one provides a white and rather sharper one! There certainly is some difference!

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2007 09:17 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Tassos,
Well it look like the "Xenon" marking on the lens has to do with it's color quality since the xenon light source has a might higher/bluer light, the lens is balanced for that. Your order lens is balanced for a tungsten lamp which has a lower color temperature source.
Xenon = 5000-6000 degress K (bluish, like daylight)
Tungsten = 3400-3500 degress K (yellow-red like indoor lamps)

John

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC