8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Need a wormgear replacement for a bell and howell filmosound 644

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need a wormgear replacement for a bell and howell filmosound 644
Pablo Alvarez Roth
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2007 08:57 PM      Profile for Pablo Alvarez Roth   Email Pablo Alvarez Roth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello guys,

I was just given a bell and howell filmosound 644, but it came with a broken plastic worm gear.

were can I get one and how much would this gear cost?

thanks

pablo.

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 26, 2007 01:41 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pablo, you should contact Phil at Classic Home Cinema as I think he's got replacement for this part.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Jeff Taylor
Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2007 09:47 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly, the issue isn't so much finding a new gear (the new black ones are what you want--the original white ones crack), the problem is that the machine must be totally disassembled to replace the gear, and to do a proper job you need the Bell & Howell alignment jigs to get everything reassembled and timed properly. In the states this is around a $250 repair job, and few feel the machines are worth it with so many clean Eiki's and Elmo's going for far less.

--------------------
Jeff

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted September 01, 2007 10:02 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn`t there a problem with some of the black ones swelling with heat after about 30 mins and the grey ones are best.
Also a company in canada is making origional like ones with a better metal core and better quality and more depth and strength to the nylon.
Thats what an interesting chap in the know was telling me.
best Mark.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2007 04:54 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil's worm gears are good; they are one solid piece of material, which in my experience, does not and cannot expand. Pretty good, once run-in. The changing, as has been said, is the complex bit. I have done quite a few of these, after being trained up by an ex-B & H engineer; some take only 2 hours to change, others take a day or more, if problems are run into. The whole mechanism must be reset and re-timed. And no, before you ask, I can't offer this service at the moment, but could recommend someone who could offer it. In the past of course, we relied on Hugh Bell at Sound & Screen Services in West Wickham (remember them?) but he sadly passed away in 2003. A lot has been said about worm gear changing here on the forum, but I wonder how many people who offer advice have actually worked on these machines? Not that many!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC