8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Bell & Howell 2592 Rewind Problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell & Howell 2592 Rewind Problem
Martin Hayward
Junior

- posted October 31, 2007 02:08 PM      Profile for Martin Hayward   Email Martin Hayward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Bell & Howell 2592 projector, which is very similar in features and guts as a 1592 projector. After projecting a film, I move the rear reel arm to the rewind position, move the control switch to rewind but the front reel arm doesn't move until I press down on the "fast" rewind button. If I take the reel off the front reel arm the spindle does turn but if I hold it it stops turning without too pressure. I took the cover off the front reel arm and the spur gear and shaft are moving when the projector is in the "standard" rewind position. I took the back cover off the projector and held the front reel arm spindle and the gears that control the front reel arm are turning fine but the shaft from the front reel arm that goes into the projector and through the gears stops when I hold the front reel arm spindle. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

|  IP: Logged

Martyn Stevens
Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2007 12:06 PM      Profile for Martyn Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Martyn Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
Have met a problem with a 1680 slot loader that may be similar. I raise the rear arm to the rewind position, but it won't rewind at all. Usually, trying raisinf the arm again - firmly - and general fiddlinf around of that sort helps. I think all the old grease has turned into thick goo and some of the gears/levers or whatever don't move as freely as they should. If you have any luck with a solution, let me know!

Martyn Stevens

Martin Hayward
Junior

- posted November 06, 2007 07:10 PM      Profile for Martin Hayward   Email Martin Hayward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your rewind problem is very simiar to mine. If I move the switch to the rewind position and quickly spin the front wheel counterclockwise it eventually grabs hold and continues to spin. I then push down on the plunger-type button which puts it in fast rewind mode. If I find a way to fix the problem, I'll post the fix here.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2007 01:59 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 16mm B&H autoload machine available model 1590-C for sale. This rewinds OK but has trouble autoloading. This is a problem beyond simply using the film trimmer and fresh leader. It just does not autoload, jamming right before the claw grabs the film within the gate. This unit arrived well packaged, but the handle was broken so it probably got dropped long before it was ever shipped to me. The unit powers up has nice bright light, too. If the problem of autoloading couold be fixed this would be a great machine. I have always been a super 8 collector and decided to try 16mm. This projector arrived with the problems at hand, and was sold through ebay as is. This was an ego booster which blew up immediately. I am staying with super 8. Maybe someday I will try a slotload machine. I like the idea of 16mm format - remember it well from high school.

You can have this for parts if you help me regroup the moiney I spent. The bill I paid was actually $90.00 including postage. Willing to settle for $35.00 PLUS postage to ship it. Perhaps the parts of good rewind will help you with your problem.

As for the rewind issues, why not use a pair of hand cranks as backup? Neumade products through 16mm film dealers often can sell you new rewind units that can be fitted with optional pulley drive, all you have to do is provide the counter space, motor and belt, and electrical switching. This type of rewind would be like the days of the old 35mm carbon arc projection rooms, long before the multiplex theaters of today. I use motor crank rewind for super 8, and it works really good and is safe for the film.

Martin if you are interested in this I am also in Massachusetts on Cape Cod if you wanted to take the drive here. I have a killer theater in the basement designed for super 8mm sound, including cinemascope and Dolby surround!

Contact me through normal email please if interested (please DO NOT use PRIVATE MESSAGING THROUGH THIS FORUM).

Chip Gelmini

prfcg2@aol.com

Martin Hayward
Junior

- posted November 07, 2007 02:58 PM      Profile for Martin Hayward   Email Martin Hayward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chip,

I've been an 8mm collector too for many years. It's a great format isn't it?

I've been collecting 16mm films for about six years now and have close to 100 films. I have 4 16mm projectors (all of them are B&H's) that I've gotten through ebay; 2 of them have been damaged during shipment (the latest projector with the rewind problem is my latest fiasco). The other two projectors are working fine. Thank you for offering up your projector for sale, but I'll have to pass on it for now. I don't have room for a fifth one even if it were just for parts. Wow, your home theater sounds awesome! Someday, maybe I'll have one too.

Best,

Marty

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC