8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Seller moviebest on eBay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Seller moviebest on eBay
Bruce Calvert
Junior

- posted November 24, 2007 10:24 AM      Profile for Bruce Calvert   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Calvert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beware of this seller on eBay. He does not inspect his film before listing them, and will not communicate with you. I bought a "Movie Memories" short from him back in September. As soone as I opened the package, it reeked of vinegar. I specifically asked him if the film had vinegar while the auction was active. The film was so warped that the first few minutes of the film would not focus. It had multiple vertical lines that continued throughout the length of the film. And finally, it was actually an epiosed of Paul Killiam's "History of the Moving Picture", not "Movie Memories".

I returned the film the day after I received it. The only email response that I ever got back from the seller was that he was out of town and could not respond to emails. He would not return multiple email requests.

After a month of no response to repeated emails, I filed a complaint with Paypal. Paypal did get me a refund.

Of course he left me negative feedback, the first that I've received in 10 years of buying on eBay. He has 112 negatives.

--------------------
Bruce Calvert
--
Visit the Silent Film Still Archive

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 24, 2007 11:47 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce

How did you obtain the seller's full address? I find that eBay sellers' addresses are abbreviated and probably not full enough for use in return communications.

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 24, 2007 03:42 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can never understand these unfair aweful people, just what do they think of themselves !!!!!!
Ebay is riddled with people where money has become thier god and all people can go hang.
Sorry for your bad luck and well done for mentioning it.
Best Mark.

Michael Hyde
Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2007 12:12 PM      Profile for Michael Hyde   Email Michael Hyde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes lads,i know we are on a film forum,but another site on ebay to keep clear of is Gowings Store (dvd`s)if you send him a cheque he cashes it and never sends the goods...ebay are useless neither of em answer complaints,but revenge is sweet,i did manage to get him 40 neg feedbacks in spite of loosing twenty quid

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2007 07:49 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bad luck Bruce, I too have pushed my luck when after a rare silent item!

My rule now is never buy from someone with lots of negative feedback? How much is too much? I once read if they have over 50 feedback ratings, then only buy from those with 97.5% or higher.

I know there are probably honest and well meaning people who fall below this mark, but it is just not worth it from my experience.

I once got a B western print described as good with hundreds of splices and lines like tram tracks AND some important scenes were missing!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC