8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » T function on bolexH16

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: T function on bolexH16
Louis Li
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2007 12:17 PM      Profile for Louis Li   Email Louis Li   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
on the bolex h16.
could someone explain to me about the effect when using the (T) instead of the usual (I) while filming.

am i right to say that the rotating shutter is on hold.
while the film continues.
do we get some kind of motion blur lines?
and what if this was applied to stop animation?

thanks

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2007 01:38 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis,

The 'T' evidently is for individual-frame longer-time exposures, according to this (scroll down to middle of page):

http://www.alphasensory.com/Skatetown/BolexH16.html

If that is the case, that could possibly be an interesting function to use for animation.

Best,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2007 12:19 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall, when you use the cable release and put the camera in the "T" position, then when you press in on the cable release the shutter opens and when you release the cable the shutter closes and the film advances.

This is useful if you need to do a long exposure of a subject and would be used in a case where you set up an automatic system to take say one frame every 30 seconds and you needed a one second exposure because of light levels (say roots growing out of a planted seed). When projected at 24 fps per second, each second of screen time would be 12 minutes of actual clock time.

Also would be useful in stop motion or puppet photography where you need great dept of field and hence a very small f/stop and didn't want a lot of blazzing lights so you could do your version of a George Pal Short, etc.

John

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC