8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16-CL question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16-CL question
David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2008 11:19 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having had intercourse of the communicatory kind with Kev regarding various aspects of this projector, an anomaly appears to have arisen.

Does it have a 2 or 3 bladed shutter?

Mine has 3 blades, Kevin's has 2 blades, and apparently the manual only refers to 2 blades. Mine is definitely and without question OEM.

Can anyone shed any light on this one? Are US models different from EU models, or is it maybe to do with age / serial numbers?

Hopefully someone has the answer.

Best regards,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 27, 2008 05:20 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I know of three std CL's which have 2 blade shutters and not 3. One being my own.

As David said it would be good to know what shutters others have in their CL's.

Thanks, Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2008 06:19 PM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine all have 2 blade shutters:
- 16-CL std. (M&O)
- 16-CL Deluxe (M&O)
- 16-CL Xenon (M&O)

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 28, 2008 02:35 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The service manual only shows a two-bladed shutter and makes no mention of a three-bladed.

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2008 08:56 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is optical only and sound speed only. Does this make any difference, I wonder. [Confused]

--------------------
Dave.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 28, 2008 10:43 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David

I searched on the Net and found that Elmo shipped the CL with two and three bladed shutters. It appears that the 2-bladed gave more light, however, I did find a comment which said:-

"I find 3-blade shutters to be much easier on my eyes."

There is a firm in the USA who supply five bladed shutters for CLs to be used for flickerless video transfer.

Perhaps that was implied by the remark above. Less flicker effect with the 3-blade?

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

Jeff Chaney
Junior

- posted January 30, 2008 11:39 PM      Profile for Jeff Chaney   Email Jeff Chaney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 4 elmo CL's
2 of them have the 2 blade shutter which have somewhat large notches, 1 of them has the 3 blade which has very thin notches in the shutter and then i have one with the 5 blade shutter which also has the thin notches. I think it might have something to do with the age of the projector as my 3 blade is newer than the 2 blade ones.

The 5 blade shutter works perfectly for home telecine.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 01, 2008 04:05 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Movie Maker test report of August 1977 says:-

"The projector is intended mainly for the projection of optical sound films at 24 f.p.s., and the shutter has only two blades, each of 60 degrees. Two blades are of course entirely adequate for large-screen projection at 24 f.p.s., but render the machine unsuitable for projection of silent films at 16 or 18 f.p.s. because of flicker."

In their summing up they didn't like the difficulty of changing the speed to 18 f.p.s., and the bad flicker at that speed.

So, perhaps, the three-bladed machine sacrifices some light in order to reduce flicker at the slower speed.

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 01, 2008 06:54 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasnt aware that it would run at 18fps.

Have just found this in the Manual and it seems you can but providing the Hz hasnt been changed?

-

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jeff Chaney
Junior

- posted February 01, 2008 11:22 AM      Profile for Jeff Chaney   Email Jeff Chaney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That part of the manual is a bit deceptive since every CL I have ever seen only has the pulleys to change the Hz. I have never seen one with the pulleys to change the speed.
Cheers
Dino

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 01, 2008 04:58 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I must admit that I found those instructions a little strange.
The way I read it is that if you have a 50Hz machine and change the pulley to the 60Hz setting you will get a slower speed etc. Obviously doesn't work for a machine set to 60Hz from the factory.

Think thats the right way round.

Kev.

[ February 23, 2008, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Kevin Faulkner ]

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 02, 2008 02:40 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CLs instructions are ambiguous and I quote once more from the Movie Maker review (August 1977).

"........alternative pulleys are provided, so that by changing over the belt (rather a struggle) the running speed can be changed to 18 f.p.s. The handbook also suggests that this alternative belt position can be used to give 24 f.p.s. running on a 60 Hz mains frequency - but, as the ratio 24/18 is not the same as 60/50, obviously it cannot do both! The ratio chosen does, in fact, seem to be a compromise, and our test machine ran at about 19 f.p.s. in the '18' setting."

The instuction book can only really refer to a machine set to run by the factory at 50 cycles. You can change the speed or the cycles, but not both together. Would the reciprocal suggestions also work on a basic 60 cycle projector?

I also have a Bell & Howell TQIII which does not have a silent speed setting but does have a lever under the lamp housing marked 50 - 60. By sliding the switch the drive belt is flicked onto another pulley. Thus at the 60 cycle setting (on GB 50 cycle mains) the projector runs at a slower speed which is suitable for the showing of silent films at 18 f.p.s. although I don't know exactly at what speed it runs. But my same comment above refers to this, I assume that if this same machine was used on a 60 cycle mains (and set at 60) a change to the 50 setting would make the motor run faster than 24 f.p.s.

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 02, 2008 04:37 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Right that makes sense. So a machine in the US doesnt have any chance of running at the slower speed just European 50HZ versions.
Anyway that doesnt answer why Elmo have used either 2 or 3 blade shutters when they know that most of these machines if not all will be running at 24fps.

Kev.

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 02, 2008 05:48 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev

I suggest that when the owners of new CLs in 1977 slipped over the belts to select silent speed they were plagued with flicker.

So perhaps Elmo then introduced the 3-bladed shutter to reduce this problem?

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2008 09:23 AM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
The 2 blade was used in the schools to show short distances. These were the early models. The Latter models came with the 3 blade.

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2008 06:06 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK,

1. The fact is, that my machine with the 3 bladed shutter has 3 large apertures, not slits.

2. The ratio of 50Hz to 60Hz means that on a 50Hz supply, with the belt in the 60Hz position, the projector will run at 19.999fps.

3. Therefore, on a 60Hz supply, with the belt in the 50Hz position, the projector will run at 28.8fps.

4. There is absolutely no facility on my 16-CL for actually changing the frame speed.

I reckon that 20fps is a bit too fast for silent movies, so, indeed, the instruction manual is TOTALLY misleading!

--------------------
Dave.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC