8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Laurel & Hardy - "Men O' War"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Laurel & Hardy - "Men O' War"
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 31, 2008 05:54 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would anybody who has the above film kindly take a few minutes to check the main title on their copy?

I have just bought a 16mm copy which is complete and with no joins. The British Board of Film Censors certificate spells the film as MEN O' WAR, however, the main title on the film is spelt MAN O' WAR.

My Laurel & Hardy books, film references, BBFC and The Internet Movie Database all spell it as the former. It seems strange that the film itself carries a different spelling.

It's not like The Collectors Club whom we recently spoke about who changed their titles completely.

Any ideas. Surely it cannot be a mistake made by Hal Roach?

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2008 10:27 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My super 8 print is fine

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2008 07:55 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film Classics, Inc. "re-christened" it to MAN O'WAR. It also changed CHICKENS COME HOME to CHICKEN COME HOME, and in at least one case renamed Mae Busch to May Bush. Undoubtedly, you have a print made from the Film Classics negative.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 01, 2008 03:44 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Why make those changes?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2008 08:25 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

These changes were made in the 1940's when many Hal Roach shorts and features were re-released in the US through Film Classics. There was no rhyme or reason -- the going theory is that it was pure carelessness on the part of Film Classics. You can read the whole history of this topic in "Laurel & Hardy: From the 40's Forward", by Scott MacGallivary. Scott frequents the http://www.16mmfilmtalk.com/ forum and is a friendly guy. He recently provided commentary on the 20th Century Fox L&H box sets here in the states.

In my opinion, Film Classics worst faux-pas was in THE CHIMP. That was one of the last L&H shorts to have an introductory title after the main titles. Theirs read, "- Mr. Laurel never got any further than the monkey cage", followed by "Mr. Hardy's aesthetic nature thrilled at the beauties of circus life -". This is obviously in the wrong order, since the punch line comes before the setup. Blackhawk compounded the error in their release of this film. Interesting thing is, Blackhawk remade all the titles, including the setup and punch line. They actually repeated Film Classics mistake. Totally unbelievable, but true. As you can see, it is still puzzling people today.

[ February 02, 2008, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Tony Stucchio ]

Gordon Hunter
Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2008 08:26 AM      Profile for Gordon Hunter   Email Gordon Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

Just checked my 400' Super 8mm copy of this title.
There is no Film Censor certificate and the main Hal Roach title is "Man O' War". The box is labelled "Men O War" (with no apostrophe.
The film leader has "A BBC Television" film printed on it. Never noticed this before. I purchased this film some years ago possibly via eBay.

Gordon,
Motherwell.
Scotland.

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2008 07:03 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it the original Hal Roach M-G-M titles? I've seen that one and it is MEN O'WAR. Does it start with the L&H Film Classics plaque?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 06, 2008 05:18 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony

The title reads:-

Hal Roach
presents
STAN LAUREL
and
OLIVER HARDY
Distributed by Film Classic Inc
Passed by the National Board of Review

The Laurel and Hardy words are attached to a "screwed" plaque. There is a further line of writing at the bottom which is obscured by a wide white frameline, although I can read that it starts with the word "Copyright."

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2008 07:47 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that is the famous "Film Classics plaque". If you look a little closer, you will see that it actually says "Nationial [sic] Board of Review." The copyright is always 1933, even if the film was made in another year. It also states the copyright is owned by M-G-M, when it was actually Loews, Inc. Such are the errors made by Film Classics.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 07, 2008 07:51 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I may pose a theory, perhaps they changed the titles slightly becauee they feared possible copyright infringement on the original title?

I know that this ploy is sometimes used even today by companies who are selling, shall we say, "marginally legal" copies of films?

It's the only answer that makes sense for a commonly repeated screw-up.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 08, 2008 03:35 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony & Osi

Just checked other 16mm bought at same time. THE MUSIC BOX is as you say, copyright 1933, etc. MGM.

If it was their intention to change titles they would have done this with all films surely? .........and stop calling me Shirley.

Just a mistake which nobody noticed at the time, or if they did, it did not worry them. They must have had Hal Roach's agreement for these issues, so there was no point in changing the spelling,

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2008 07:13 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, these were legal re-issues. Title changes were simply mistakes.

You may note that the music under the titles of MEN O'WAR has the buzz-saw sound effects from BUSY BODIES. Yet another Film Classics blunder. And another one that Blackhawk repeated.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC