8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Edwal Fast Drying Film Cleaner?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Edwal Fast Drying Film Cleaner?
Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2008 03:00 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else used this and how do you feel about it? Does it lubricate at all or just clean? I like Filmrenew but my print does not need that much lubrication. Just a straight forward cleaning. The print is a bit musty. Also does anything show up on the film cleaning cloth? Any color or residue I should be prepared to see like excessive dyes? I experienced that with Kodak Movie Film Cleaner.

Thank's!!!

Tom (Tommy)

|  IP: Logged

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2008 08:00 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom,edwall film cleaner is an excellent cleaner and lubricant,we use gallons of it in our film library ere in Spain but you must use it carefully and in a very very well vented area and with mask if is possible because theres a component(tetrachloroethylene) that can be a bit bad if you smell it continuosly,nothing important just a little bit of headaches just in the case you use the cleaner in hig amount and for long time,apart of it is a great cleaner and our favorite one beside Renovex 3(if you prefer this one you can buy it from Larry Urbansky,it work for some difficult cases even better than edwall)

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2008 08:15 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom,edwall film cleaner is an excellent cleaner and lubricant,we use gallons of it in our National film library here in Spain but you must use it carefully and in a very very well vented area and with mask if is possible because theres a component(tetrachloroethylene) that can be a bit bad if you smell it continuosly,nothing important just a little bit of headaches just in the case you use the cleaner in hig amount and for long time,apart of it is a great cleaner and our favorite one beside Renovex 3(if you prefer this one you can buy it from Larry Urbansky,it work for some difficult cases even better than edwall).Edwall is very safe on films of any stock acetate or polyester and dont leave any residue,the clean film looks stunning and almost as new,yesterday we clean a print of "the four featehers"(1938, korda) that we received from a local retired distributor,the print come to us full of dirt and dust,once i inspected the print and repaired some perforation damage with the 16 mm perfix machine and do two runs carefully inside our static eliminator i clean the print with Edwall,this morning i show the print and i can say that,as always, edwall did an excelent work cleaning all the dust and grease,the picture looks almost as new now,anyway the job will be finished tomorrow when iŽll make the ultrasonic cleaning.

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2008 12:17 AM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Tom,
I've used Edwal Anti-Static film cleaner for years with great success in cleaning and making chattery films run smooth through my machines. And in the case of magnetic sound prints, it totally takes care of the static and squeaky noise heard on some older prints as well. It used to make my head hurt if I used it on multiple films, but they have since changed the formula so it's not nearly as intense to breath, though at the expense that it doesn't evaporate nearly as fast as it used to. Still works great, however.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 11, 2008 01:00 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where can this product be obtained?

-Mike

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2008 01:20 AM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get mine from Adorama.com

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 11, 2008 02:22 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about in Europe?
Is it available over here?
I use Film Guard but, I feel its limited in its uses.

-Mike

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 11, 2008 06:02 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just been on the Adorama web site. This New York company sells a 4oz container of Edwall Film Cleaner for $10.95 but it can only be shipped within the US.

A word of warning for users. Use some form of gloves as this dry cleaning liquid can harm the skin.

--------------------
Maurice

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2008 10:31 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Jose for taking the time to give me ALL that information about Edwal cleaner. Thank's also to Michael, Mike and Maurice. I really appreciate all the information from everyone. This is a great forum with a lot of knowledgeable people. Even Jose from Spain had a lot of interesting thing's to tell me from their film lab about using this product.

I do appreciate it. Especially the point's about being careful when it comes to breathing the vapor's from this product.

Sincerely,

--Tom [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC