8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » just got a Bolex H16 Reflex. What model is this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: just got a Bolex H16 Reflex. What model is this?
Neil Stubbings
Junior

- posted July 21, 2008 10:32 AM      Profile for Neil Stubbings   Email Neil Stubbings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i just got a H16 Reflex and from the serialnumber it looks like its a REX 3.
But from the looks of the side of it it looks like a REX 5.
what model is this? PICTURE
see picture:
And as i didnt get a manual with it I cant figure out what that bent lever on the left side is for? any clues?
or does someone have a pdf of the manual for this model?

thanks for your help!

|  IP: Logged

Louis Li
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2008 05:50 AM      Profile for Louis Li   Email Louis Li   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i believe you have a rex 3.
a rex 5 would be able to fit a 400ft mag on top.
and the I T would be sort of a knob instead of a LEVER.
that accessory you are pointing at is a REXOFADER
The device was used on H-16 REX cameras to operate the variable shutter, creating timed FADES of 40 frames.
These are marked "H16-40" on the lever

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2008 08:55 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a Rex 3 to me as well. The Rex 4 added a single frame drive shaft (the manual drive shaft on this is 8 frames per revolution and to do a dissolve you have to wind the film backwards 5 turns after a fade out and then the Rex-o-fader will automatically open when you start filming creating a smooth 40 frame dissolve).

The Rex 4 added the single frame shaft and I think some other improvments/modifications in the viewfinder.

The Rex 5 modified the top of the camera to accept a 400 foot magazine which required a motor drive with a power take-off for the take up motor for the magazine as well.

the Rex 3 has the flat base and can take the matte box accessory as long as you find one that has the attachement adapter with it.

John

Raj Patel
Junior

- posted September 13, 2008 09:58 AM      Profile for Raj Patel   Email Raj Patel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to check it for sure, look at the serial number on the base. http://www.bolexcollector.com/cameras.html has listed the serial numbers and years of manufacture for all of these bolex cameras, click on the camera, then scroll to the bottom of its page.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC