8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Eiki projector gate cover?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eiki projector gate cover?
Eric Baucher
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2008 04:31 PM      Profile for Eric Baucher   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Baucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see these projectors with the cover around the focus knob missing on ebay all the time. in fact most of them are missing. how easy is it to get one if you buy a projector that doesnt have one? I know that they are missing cause the focus mech goes bad with age. how do you fix one that has that problem? thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2008 05:47 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can buy rubber tubeing from model shops which is used as fuel hoses for model planes. Also PTFE tape wound around the shaft of the focus knob is a good temporary fix.

Paul.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 12, 2008 08:09 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric,

A lot of the early Eikis - the RM, the NT series do not have these covers to begin with.

That is not the reason for the focus rubber disintegation.

-Mike

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2008 08:41 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
The focus assembly had a molded on polyureathane tube that was used to drive the lens. What often happened (in the US at least) was the lenses came "fixed" against loss by a small 3mm screw. Users would try to remove the lens by turnig the focus mechanism out and grind up the tube.

Early versions of the tube also would just turn to goo like some of the poly reel arm belts.

The good news is if all the parts are in place, the knob and metal drive can be removed and cleaned. Then a short piece of the correct diameter of vinyl tubing is cut, heated in hot water to make it easy to assemble and pushed onto the shaft. Then reassemble.

The cover on the SL and SSL projector is also part of the slot load guide, but it is not critical and you can easily use the machine without the snap on cover. (It's so easy to take off that they're often just lost by the previous owners).

John

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2008 09:58 AM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Eric
On the focus knobs I have them in stock (NEW)

Your cost New $15.00 each plus mailing.

The old ones had a clear tube on them. as of 5/20/80
Eiki replaced them with a new red colored polyurethane friction drive

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC