8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Bauer Projectors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bauer Projectors
Martyn Stevens
Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2008 10:58 AM      Profile for Martyn Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Martyn Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Bauer P5, which is lacking both mains plug - a special 3-pins-in-line jobbie - and the two toothed belts which transfer the drive to the top sprocket and the take-up. Can any suggest a source of supply?
Also, does the polarity of the mains input matter? The original receptacle has sticky-out bits so a matching plug would only go in one way round. When I tried to feed power in, it tripped my switch thingy in the distribution board. Does this mean wrong polarity or some deeper fault?
Has anyone got a photocopy or scan of the instructions they would let me have?

Martyn Stevens

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 08, 2008 01:11 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martyn,

These used to do Bauer spares:

www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/

-Mike

Martyn Stevens
Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2008 08:55 AM      Profile for Martyn Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Martyn Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,
Thanks very much for link. They do still do spares, but in German, and at a price! €40 for the short belt, €30 for the longer one. And how much is the machine worth? Probably less!
I shall have to try glue.
Martyn

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2008 11:03 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote: "switch thingy in the distribution board"
Do you mean the 13 A circuit MCB, or the overall RCB(thats the one with the Test Button). If the latter, there is an electrical leak between Live and Earth or Neutral and Earth (i.e. poor insulation) in your machine. If the former, your machine is taking too much current (overload) from the supply; this is more in the line of a "short" or partial "short" between Live and Neutral or Live and Earth in your machine.

(For our US friends, EARTH is english for GROUND)

If in doubt, consult an electrical or audio technician.

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2009 01:08 PM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The toothed belts had been designed more than 50 years ago.
There didnīt exist a standard for toothed belts in 1955.
The special pitch on these belts is nowadays produced to special order, only.
You have to bay a min. quantity of belts at once of each dimension.
Therefore belts are very expensive and last for years until stock is down.
Belts manufactured to an actual Standard are much cheaper and available from lot of suppliers, directly from stock in quantities of one ore more as you need it.
But this doesnīt apply for old Non Standard belts as used in Bauer P5 and others.

@: Martyn,
if you are still searching for belts, please contact us.
Maybe we have some 2nd hand ones in mind condition in stock.

Martyn Stevens
Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2009 03:47 PM      Profile for Martyn Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Martyn Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exeter Martin,
Belated thanks for electrical comments. Of the 3 non-earth wires into the Bauer, 2 inside are labelled 220v, the other shows a connection to negative on my test meter, so it sounds like you were right. Incidentally, if you know a qualified electrician who does not cost the earth....... Disconnecting this (I still don't know what it's for)gave me a functioning projector without sound.
Jossssef Grassman - I did bite the bullet and buy the large belt from Wittner - little choice as it drives a sprocket - but was going to try to make do with a flat belt for the drive to the take-up. If you do have a belt, tho'....It's about 10cm circumference and 5 or 6mm pitch.
Martyn Stevens

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2009 04:26 PM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have all belts for Bauer projectors -including P5- on stock.
Tooth belts and flat belts (in both reel arms).
We still have mirror-condenser-units, claw pins,film rollers a.s.o. for P5 available.

Please note: Do never remove (unscrew) the small film guides above and underneath apature plate. Exact position of both is needed when apature plate must be remounted. A special Bauer gauge (tool) needs both film guides as reference points.
Quite often people remove them for cleaning and polishing reasons.

Martyn Stevens
Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2009 03:44 AM      Profile for Martyn Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Martyn Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josef,
I didn't get the short belt as it only drives the take-up and I guess I can get away with a flat one. The Wittner price was huge, the projector is worth less! What is your price for a short belt incl TVA and shipping. (Tried to email but got blocked).
Thanks

Martyn

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2009 08:23 AM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mr. Stevens,
I canīt send you an email through tis forum. Following message appears: Sorry, either the user or the board administrator is blocking access to this email address.

Price is 20,-Eur + Postage

You can send email to: retino at haefft dot de
Please note that we are only sometimes online.
If you can send a fax is better: +49-2242-82759
Best regards
Josef Grassmann

Robert Lewis
Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2009 07:10 AM      Profile for Robert Lewis   Email Robert Lewis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FOR HERRN JOSEF GRASSMANN ONLY

Hi Josef. I can't send to you an email message because like others your email address seems to be blocked, and so I have faxed a message to you.

Regards,

BOB

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2009 07:37 AM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recieved it 3-times, 2 in perfect condition one not readable.
Will reply early next week.

Robert Lewis
Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2009 05:48 AM      Profile for Robert Lewis   Email Robert Lewis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Josef.

I am sorry you got three faxes. My fax machine was showing "failure" of the first two attempts - something to do with interference on the line. I had the impression that the first two attempts had been unsuccessful - hence the third try.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but I wonder if you have managed to come up with any information/advice.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

BOB

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC