8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » ElfEiki NT-1 Lubrication

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ElfEiki NT-1 Lubrication
Robert Lewis
Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2009 03:30 PM      Profile for Robert Lewis   Email Robert Lewis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just acquired an Elf Eiki NT-1 projector. Absolutely fantastic machine and I am delighted with it. However a question!!

Is there a simple way of lubricating the projector. I have a copy of the service manual and my immediate reaction is that it is not so very helpful. I appreciate that one should use silicon grease and oil, but the operator manual says lubrication should be left to a service engineer, whilst the service manual seems to imply that a complete strip-down is necessary. Have a missed a more simple system of lubrication? Any advice is welcome.

|  IP: Logged

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2009 11:48 PM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Iīm afraid it has to be lubricated by an expert. As far as I know the essential parts of the movement are sealed in a container already filled with lubrication. I have one of these since ten years back, have hung hundreds of hours on it, never had it lubricated, and it runs like a clock, although I suspect, just like cars it would be a good idea to change the lubrication since itīs thirty years old.

But the real pro here is John Whittle, letīs hope he sees this. [Smile]

Cheers
Lars

Robert Lewis
Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2009 02:52 AM      Profile for Robert Lewis   Email Robert Lewis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lars.

Since posting my original message I did pick up a link to lubrication chart (pdf) but the document will not load, and also I found a posting which suggests that on the top of the claw mechanism there is a felt oiling point. I shall explore both these points a little more.

As to the projector itself, I am delighted to hear that you like yours. Certainly I am impressed with the one I got, so much so that I very quickly fitted an anamorphic bracket and lens.

Regards.

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2009 06:37 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Robert.

I think that the Lub chart you mention is the one on my web site. I have had some trouble with pdf files, but have now reinstalled it on the site at:-
www.cinephoto2.co.uk/elf_eiki_16mm_lub_chart.htm

It should now download without any problems, but you might have to refresh the page first.

The felt oiling point is on top of the Cam Tank, and is accessed by removing the small screw, and little silver cover.
You will find it easier to oil if you remove the whole Cam Tank unit.

Regards.
Hugh.

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Robert Lewis
Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2009 07:00 AM      Profile for Robert Lewis   Email Robert Lewis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hugh.

Thank you so much. I have opened the document now, and I am very grateful to you for taking the trouble to re-post the chart.

Frankly, I shudder at the prospect of removing the whole cam tank assembly, but if needs must I guess I will have to try. I am going to try and oil the pad through the oiling hole first and see how it goes. However, as you say it is not so easy to get to the oiling point.

Regards,

BOB

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2009 11:15 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Bob.

Glad that you have downloaded the Lub chart.
If you require instructions about removing the Cam Tank then please go to:-
www.cinephoto2.co.uk/elf_eiki_16mm_amp1ad.htm

Regards.
Hugh.

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Robert Lewis
Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2009 02:30 PM      Profile for Robert Lewis   Email Robert Lewis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hugh.

Fantastic drawings! So clear and helpful. Thank you. They make it all look so easy.

Regards,

BOB

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2009 03:33 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Before you remove the cam tank, be aware that re-installing it will require you to verify framing and claw protrusion. These adjustments are very fine and there is enough movement in the mounting screws that they need to be reset upon putting it back in.

Also be very careful with the claw when you're removing the cam tank because if it doesn't clear properly you can snap one or more of the teeth off the claw.

In short, most of these machines will never need to be re-lubricated unless run in a theatre situation putting hours and hours on the machine each day.

John

Robert Lewis
Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2009 05:18 PM      Profile for Robert Lewis   Email Robert Lewis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John.

Thanks for your message and for the caution. I have oiled the pad through the oiling point on the top of the cam tank and I must say that whilst the projector was running well before, it is running even better now. I don't propose to go further for the time being because I don't really want to engage in stripping down the machine unless it is really necessary. Also, taking your point, since the cam tank is almost a sealed unit, I can't believe that the grease put in in the past has disappeared. Time will tell.

Regards,

BOB

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2009 09:43 AM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The felt has a size of 1/2 thumb. If felt is still dry - which is often the case, 10 to 20 drops of oil will be completely absorbed.
If somebody did already oil the felt in the past than further 10 to 15 drops might be too much. Oil will be dripping down to thoothbelt and amp and further problems will arise.
Too much oil will wasch out the grease applied to the claw mechanism. Liquid grease starts dripping.
Therefore apply not more than 5 drops and wait for one week each time before you might decide to apply further 5 drops of oil 5632 (Molybdenum disulfide)

Robert Lewis
Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2009 04:12 AM      Profile for Robert Lewis   Email Robert Lewis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Josef.

Thank you for the advice.

Regards,

BOB

Can Sanalan
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2018 05:21 PM      Profile for Can Sanalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I'm also looking to lubricate my Elf projector but all those links above are dead.
I'm in need of those diagrams, does anyone know where I can find them or can anyone send the, to me please..
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
C.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 17, 2018 07:02 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can,
Maurice kindly put this link on for me, you will find the manual you require with all the lube charts etc

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/index.php?category=2#16mm

Can Sanalan
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2018 03:50 AM      Profile for Can Sanalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much Tom.
Will have go through this tonight and hopefully it'll help me:)
Best,
C.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 22, 2018 06:15 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your welcome

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC