8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » What is a "bandsaw" print?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is a "bandsaw" print?
Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2009 04:57 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello

Could someone explain what a "bandsaw" print is and where they come from.

Thanks, Bill

|  IP: Logged

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2009 05:22 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some companies would run their prints through a bandsaw so they could not be "misused" by collectors or exhibitors after their initial use. Some of these prints would still get into the hands of collectors, who would splice them together. The prints obviously have many splices, but are viewable after the repair.

[ March 21, 2009, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: John Hermes ]

--------------------
John Hermes

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 21, 2009 06:28 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very viewable, as a matter of fact. [Big Grin]
Watch the sale section of the forum. I'll be offering some extracts of fairly recent films soon.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2009 07:32 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm certain I have picked one up. It's an 800' part of "Hulk" from 2003. I watched it and was suprised that it played as well as it did. My concern is all the splices appear to be Scotch 'invisible' tape. That's not good is it?

Should I just leave it alone or fix it with real splicing tape?

I really love the film so to actually have a piece of it is kinda thrilling!

Bill

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 21, 2009 09:38 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen "band saw" portions of "The Iron Giant" and "Return of the Jedi" as well on 16MM.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2009 09:58 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always avoided these prints as the amount of splices per reel must be horrendous. Also as you get nearer to the centre of the reel the splices get closer and closer. This must put a strain on your projector and obviously the print as well.

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2009 12:25 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from the hours to splice the reel back together, having watched prints being cut, how do you make sure you get all the parts back in the right order?

John

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 22, 2009 12:48 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill - I wondered what makes you think the tape is not proper splicing tape? It would be astonishing to spend so much time splicing and not use the right tape.

John - From what I've heard, bandsaw reels tend to be film on a core with tape holding it together, but with one cut going from the edge to the centre, so it's no problem getting the sequence right. Can anyone confirm this? I once bought a non-bandsawed trailer on a core that had a cut going a few millimetres into it, so it appeared to be from a bandsawed print.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2009 01:17 PM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To some extent this whole situation is absurd; beautiful 16mm prints are probably bandsawed when serious collectors would be willing to pay hundreds of pounds for them. In a way it´s strange the film studios are´nt "friendlier" towards the film collectors, since these are people willing to pay a premium for the right product, and the "harm" they do is negligible compared to the people who upload films on the Internet. I guess it comes down to the studios not wanting prints circulating out of their control. [Roll Eyes]

Cheers
Lars

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 22, 2009 02:50 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, I'll second what Bill says. There are some films spliced with Scotch Magic Tape.
Some of these prints/extracts were being sold by a person in Arkansas. He was using the splicing exercise to keep his hands busy. When asked why he didn't use regular splicing tape, he simply answered that he had a large stock of magic tape and that, after all, tape was tape...
That person passed in March 2007. His lady wife offered me to take over the remaining stock (about 300 kilos of unspliced film), but I really didn't see myself paying for the shipping across the Atlantic and spending countless hours resplicing the prints.
Magic tape works, it even took the Film Renew challenge and didn't go loose. It just gives you a slightly darker image where the splice is. Honestly it's not as disturbing as a big green emulsion line.
All the respliced bandsaw bits that I have run smoothly in the Elmo.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2009 05:51 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm in the market for 'bandsaw' prints if the quality is otherwise good! Tempt me!

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2009 03:28 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the interesting info everyone.

To resplice everything would be very time consuming...I don't know if I love the film THAT much. I was just concerned if the Scotch tape would hurt the film in the long haul. I suppose it is just tape.

It does run good. There were some sections that you could tell a frame was missing here and there. But in the center of the film there were stetches that ran so good I forgot there were even splices. I thought the tape would be noticable but it really is not.

It is a shame that these films are cut up and destroyed. I can understand the studios reasons for doing it, as some may use them for wrongful profit. You know how it goes...one person screws up...everyone pays the consequence.

Bill

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2009 01:15 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one that I guess I'll call a "corkscrew" print since it was never fully cut it just has a dime sized notch on every revolution. It was notched on the soundtrack side so it plays smoothly but you still get the annoying dropout each turn.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 26, 2009 10:15 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the companies don't want to loose their control over the prints and then bandsawed it, why they don't just destroy it to a point that cannot be re-spliced?

Probably using to a similar macnine like paper shredder?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2009 10:37 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They want to torture us by making us make a thousand splices. [Wink]

--------------------
John Hermes

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2009 11:08 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bandsaw prints were unknown to me until I tried the Arkansas seller to which Jean-Marc refers. That much scotch tape might be fine now, but if the adhesive ever shifts or oozes, you'd never want to run it again. I twisted the dear widow's arm and she took the film back. Kinda feel bad about it now, but I didn't know what I was getting into.

It amounted to a splice with one frame missing every two seconds, and it was plenty visible.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 26, 2009 11:42 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It amounted to a splice with one frame missing every two seconds
Waauuuw...so for a 3 minutes triller, how many splices are there?

And is the bandsaw prints only for triller or also or a feature?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2009 12:11 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
some people claim that bandsaw prints are watchable -- I don't know what they are smoking - to me the constant splices with either a missing frame per splice, or if the damaged frame is not removed, then a visual pop (and often an audible pop) each time is enough to drive me bonkers after about 5 minutes.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC