8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Ebay Projector (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ebay Projector
Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 29, 2009 01:24 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm usually very wary of so-called "new, unused" projectors because, more often than not, it means they've been lying around unused somewhere for years, which is not generally good for them.
However, this looks like a beauty:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mint-ELF-NT1-16mm-Cine-Projector-LIMITED-EDITION_W0QQitemZ350196303507QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_VintagePhotography_VintagePhotoAccessories?hash=item35 0196303507&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

No B&H worm gear problems to worry about.

-Mike

|  IP: Logged

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2009 05:22 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good. I'm not a total Elf NT expert but I have two very similar to this. Mine are 1982-83. The eBay one has no undertray with mains cutoff switch, which puts it back at that period but he claims it is the latest variant. It also has the round motor belt not the later 'flatworm' one which I believed was the last type on them. I've emailed him for the serial number. My two are in the 40,000s and they certainly went into the 60,000s. I have the earlier 'metal lamphouse' type also at 25,000 odd.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 29, 2009 05:42 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep and I have had bad dealings with this guy before with an earlier auction for some film.

When I complained about a problem he was extremely rude [Mad]

I for one wont deal with him again.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2009 06:36 PM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The label in one pic shows Elf bods being at Slough. That closed down around 1987 - so that m/c has to be before that date no matter what the seller implies. Just my happorth! Cheers, David E

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2009 06:54 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting about the Slough centre. My main pair both have that label. I think the eBay machine is a 'refurbishment' of some kind with a mixture of parts. That's not to say it isn't a reasonable machine but it isn't 'brand new, unused'.

--------------------
VistaVision

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 30, 2009 02:45 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It'll be interesting to see how much it goes for.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2009 07:53 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have bought items from Eddie Smyth in the past and have always had 1st class service and top quality products from him. I would certainly recommend him. If he is selling that projector you can guarantee that it will be in excellent working condition and well worth owning. His 8 years on ebay and 100% feedback after over two thousand transactions confirm that he can be trusted. I have no connection with him other than being a satisfied buyer but I recommend him wholeheartedly.

Paul.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2009 01:15 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He emailed me the serial number which is: NT 40299. This would put it with my main pair in 1982-3. But neither of mine have the one-switch rewind. Odd. I haven't purchased a lot from him, only some belts, so on that I couldn't say either way. I would only say, 'if it's brand new where's the box?' I actually did get box and poly sections with one machine and still only paid around £120.

--------------------
VistaVision

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 30, 2009 02:11 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, the one-switch rewind is hardly a selling point - how difficult is rewinding the conventional way with the NT-1???

However, the whole machine looks very clean. Has anyone asked the seller where the machine has been for the past few years?
-Mike

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 30, 2009 08:43 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It certainly looks brand new and virtually untouched to me. Signs include a lack of fingerprints, the plastic protective covering still on metal plates, and the speaker lead hasn't been unwound and has a residue indicating prolonged contact with polystyrene.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2009 03:49 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
New or not, this machine is about 30 years old. Keep that in mind as to plastics getting brittle and polyurtheane problems with belts and rubber hardening.

While heavier than an SNT, the SNT had many improvments.

John

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 01, 2009 05:23 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely correct.

Like I said - if it's been sitting around unused for a long time it ain't gonna perform like a brand new anything!!

-Mike

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2009 01:16 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone seen the price of this! A day to go and touching £400! SO not worth it, in my humble opinion. The serial number on this is 2000 before two I have. I have a third for spares, all three didn't cost that. I'm picky about the cosmetic condition too.

--------------------
VistaVision

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 05, 2009 01:39 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That price is way too much for that projector IMO.

The thing is that people get taken in by the "Mint, Unused" tags and expect that it is just fresh from the factory.

It does look very nice but.....way too much to spend on a Halogen Eiki.

My tuppence worth.

-Mike

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2009 01:56 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He told me the serial number but hasn't put that in the listing, I think. He said he was going to. It isn't the last version though it may have lain in storage for years. You can do things differently and get good results: I intentionally went after several in the last couple of years, expecting to have to combine parts etc, but for just under £400 I have a nice pair and a spare.

--------------------
VistaVision

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2009 01:06 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gulp! £480!

--------------------
VistaVision

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 06, 2009 01:11 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unbelievable.
I hope the winner will be very happy with it [Smile]

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2009 01:51 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly hope so too. If he is a member of this forum I wish him well with it and that it performs well for years. Too much of a gamble for me however...

--------------------
VistaVision

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2009 07:06 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goodness...at the current exchange rate, that would be $726 [Eek!]
That's more than I paid for my XENON Eiki.

Only on EBay...

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2009 02:24 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably more than twice what it´s worth. [Big Grin]
Nice presentation video, though! [Smile]

Cheers
Lars

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2009 10:01 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Friends, these Eiki projectors have a drawback which is overheating. I have an RT-3 (identical except for SEPMAG), and I must say that the air conduction through the lamp house is so uneffective that you can't touch the aperture plate after a half-hour run. That means one cannot rely on film waxing in order to secure good steadyness although one needs to lubricate the film since it runs through an all metal gate. Pity

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 08, 2009 01:11 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'll agree with the overheating issue. I have an RM-1 and an RT-1 and both get very hot.

BUT....it's never caused me any problems with presentation. Film runs through there very nicely.

-Mike

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2009 04:51 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Never had the heat problem at the aperture plate/film gate. What lamp are you running? The specs for the original lamps had a dichoric coating which only reflected visible light and let the infrared pass through the back of the reflector.

Then again there were some problems with plastic fans on some runs of the projector. So check the fan to see it's secure, not broken or dirty.

What's more on the Xenon version running the 350 watt lamp I didn't have this problem on the 2000N or 3000N (currently I have a pair of 3500 slot loaders with change over and no problem there as well).

One other thing is that the motor does turn slower on the 50hz systems, but I doubt that would account for that much heat.

John

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 08, 2009 05:10 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Running ELC Xenophot lamps. Fan seems OK too. I wouldn't even have remarked on it had it not been for the previous post.
As I said, it hasn't been a problem - except maybe if I need to adjust the framing. The framing lever has lost its plastic finger tab and this is almost too hot to touch at times.

-Mike

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 08, 2009 09:17 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Like I said - if it's been sitting around unused for a long time it ain't gonna perform like a brand new anything!!
-Mike"

I can't entirely agree as about 4 years ago I bought a brand new (still in the original box) mid-1980s Eiki ENT. Apart from my needing to tighten the framing lever after a while, it has performed perfectly. I suspect that it might help when a projector is still sealed in a polythene bag inside the box, as mine was.

I agree that the price of the NT was astonishing, though, considering that you sometimes see as new ones sold for around £100.

[ May 11, 2009, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC