8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Ebay Projector (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ebay Projector
Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2009 09:54 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This surely must be something unique to the RM and RT machines if they get that hot, because neither my regular SSLs nor my Xenon 350 generate anything like that kind of heat.
I can flip the gate out on all of them after a reel and while a little warm to the touch, no problem at all. Never even thought twice about it.
Same goes for moving the framing lever (metal.)
I am glad they don't turn into ovens; I am sure my films appreciate it too [Wink]

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 09, 2009 02:26 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've owned a couple of NT2s. Indeed, I had to open the back to increase ventilation quite a few times. Eikis are fun and easy to use machines. Some units can be kind to film, others can be lethal. Although I've switched to Elmos many years ago, I still think that the rewind system on later Eikis is one of the most reliable when storing films on cores.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 09, 2009 02:44 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
" I suspect that it might help when a projector is still sealed in a polythene bag inside the box, as mine was." - Adrian Winchester.

Hi Adrian,

You are, perhaps, correct.
I was referring to the possibility that it may have been lying around in a cupboard somewhere "drying out" ( for want of a better phrase!)

-Mike

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2009 10:54 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
By the time the SSL and SNT were introduced, many of the parts that had failed due to time/materials used in manufacture had been replaced. That's why the SNT and SSL are the best choices, the amps are better, the belts are more reliable and the machines have larger sprockets and handle film better.

I'm wondering if the heat problems on the RM/NT machines which all seem to be reported by countries with 50hz power is due to the motor design on that model. The induction motors speed is controlled by power frequency and I think was designed originally for the Japan market (which is a 100volt service by the way). So for the 50hz markets, a change was made in the pulley diameter to speed up the frame rate (thus the motor turns slower, the fan turns slower and they have to handle the voltage variation for the transformer for the lamp as well).

John

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 10, 2009 01:57 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a reasonable explanation.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2009 04:27 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The NTs aren't perfect. Mine do get quite hot. Though the only real shortcoming I find is the racking by moving the aperture not the claw. But I made a decision to standardise on the NT based on availability of parts and feasible home servicing after looking at them ( and a useful phone conversation with Phil Sheard.) The only big scary is the rear sprocket slipping and that's nasty. I check the tightness of that every so often.

The slot loaders may be better but... they're slot loaders and therefore are not real projectors!

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 10, 2009 05:12 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had an SL-1 for about two weeks. Didn't like it. Sold it. I like manual threading and nothing else will do it.

-Mike

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2009 03:09 PM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven, I agree; "rear sprocket slipping" VERY SCARY! [Eek!]

Cheers
Lars

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 11, 2009 04:39 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rear sprocket slipping??

Can you describe what happens here? I've never seen this.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2009 09:23 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the sprocket wheel/disc seems to be held from moving only by the large Phillips screw in the centre. If this screw, easily accessible of course, isn't tight the 'nasty' is that either the film piles up in the lower loop OR the take up pulls the lower loop flat and the claw then can damage perforations. Much worse. If you have the service manual you can see that under the black cap there is a little locking collar thingy but these can decay. Every so often I check both centre screws are tight - easily done, actually.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 12, 2009 02:34 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.
I'll be checking before each use from now on.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC