8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » The truth about Vinegar Sydrome! (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The truth about Vinegar Sydrome!
John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2010 09:08 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen lots of Kodak camera film, B&W and Kodachrome, with VS. Most of it is from the mid-1930s and 1940s, but once in a while even films from the 1950s have it. Once again, the stuff stored in the tight cans is most prone, from my experience.

--------------------
John Hermes

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2010 10:57 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I would agree with you on that John (Brad too). Always in cans, and the same vintage.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2010 10:20 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone want to respond to my suspicion that all Super 8 camera film is diacetate to this day?

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2010 01:00 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I have seen the base of Kodachrome specified it has been triacetate propionate. According to this report, Kodak discontinued diacetate films around 1940.

http://louisville.edu/library/ekstrom/special/files/Acetates

--------------------
John Hermes

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2010 01:29 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Kodachrome was on diacetate, what I found was:

"Kodachrome Film is currently made on cellulose acetate propionate support."

I haven't been able for find any reference where this was changed and why that emulsion was made on that base may relate to the coatings or the coupler/color developers in processing. In any event, it would show as a difference in edge transmission. As I recall 7387 had a different edge look that 7381 (Eastman Reversal Color Print/Eastman Color) which was also different from Ektachrome Print and Ektachrome R Print (7386/7388).

The base material for 7386,7388 and 7381 were all identical so it must have been an observation based on some other factor. 7386 and 7388 didn't have the rem-jet backing but a silver colloidal (sp) anti-halation layer. 7381 and 7387 however did have a rem-jet backing (a carbon black back of film coating that was removed in the first stage of development).

There was a black light test for nitrate/safety film but that was because a chemical had been added to all the safety film materials to make that test possible.

John

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC